Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Monaro Electric Seat slides back on it's own....

smiddy75

smiddy75
Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro Series III
Hi guys,

Wondering if some wise heads can help. I've search the forums and no one seems to have had the problem I'm having....

Drivers electric seat in my '04 CV8 Monaro decides to move itself and slide all the way back until it stops. No other adjustment happens (height/tilt etc), she just slides all the way back. Thankfully it never does it while the engine is on, but other than that it doesn't seem to matter whether the keys are in it or not, or if it's locked or alarmed or immobilised. I've disconnected the battery for half an hour, no luck. I've checked the fuses and relays, all good. Sometimes it might not do it for a few months, then it starts to do it once a day, sometimes a couple of times a day if I'm in and out of it a few times.
On the odd occasion I've caught it doing it, when I hold the preset button to return it to it's set position, as soon as I let the button go it wants to slide all the way back again. The only way to get it to stay where I want then is to use the control lever to slide it forward or back and then it'll stay. I've tried setting different positions for the 3 preset buttons but that doesn't help.
It's had a good life, always kept under cover day and night, so I'm ruling out water or sun/heat messing with electronics. The seat itself is in excellent condition with no play or movement. All the buttons etc are as new and work as such.
The only wiring changes ever done to the car is a 7" headunit installed with a steering wheel control adapter patch, and the only other weird electrical thing it does once in a blue moon is when I switch the car off the thermo's will stay on (totally random and not heat related as it happened one icy morning after only driving for 2 minutes). Pulling the underbonnet relay and reinstalling fixes that, weird. Can't see how either of these could affect the seat but thought I'd mention it.

Any help appreciated as I'm worried about the day it starts sliding back while I'm driving, :computer:

Cheers,

Smiddy

brinz96VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Calais
Could be a sticky switch contact, Id start with unplugging the switch module when the seat is in your driving position, and see if that is causing the mischief.
The plastic bolster shroud has x3 philips head screws to undo, with one requiring a stubby screwdriver, look the front right corner, under the seat frame, remove this to expose the loom & plug.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wouldn't that also disable side airbags and if you turn on the.ignition will throw up an airbag light on the dash which needs a tech2 to clear it?

I would also agree that could be the adjusting switch and needs contacts cleaned.or new.

Electronics contact cleaner spray may help.

Interesting about the thermo fans staying.on.

Is that at the same time as the seat issues?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
What about the button under the lever on the backrest. It could be sticking 'on'

smiddy75

smiddy75
Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro Series III
Thanks for your replies guys. Some good tips, I'll get onto it today and see how I go.

I'm guessing if I'm going to get airbag codes with the key on, well I just won't turn it on. The seat doesn't care if the key is on or off or immobilised so once I clean the contacts and put it back together I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again as I can't replicate the problem. That seat just does what it wants when it wants although thankfully never when the engine is running lol.

Yeah the thermo fan issue seems unrelated, just a random headf**k like the seat. It's only happened 3 times and has never coincided with the seat doing it's thing. Probably another thread for another day, but for the time being pulling the underbonnet relay for the thermo makes it stop, reinsert it and it stays off. Might hit that with some contact cleaner too.