Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Monaro V Mustang ......unbiased opinions ?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If anyone is interested, I would like members opinions regarding the ergonomics and aesthetics of them. Forget acceleration, top speed ...... both are unable to legally, or practically use their potential in normal traffic.

After they were released, I saw one in the local Ford showroom, and thought it was time for a sit and fiddle. ( I am 6ft tall in the olde measurement )

The drivers seat was very comfortable, but the view of the dash was not what I would call pleasing, too busy and cluttered. The back seats are not much more than some-where to put your shopping, if you can contort around the front seats.
The visibility out from the drivers seat is restricted, and where does the bonnet end ?

Today, I took the opportunity to park my Monaro next to a similar coloured Mustang in a car park, and took a stroll around both for a critical look at the lines. If they were women, it was like comparing Jennifer Hawkins to a tattooed, muscle bound female wrestler.

I think that after 15 years the Monaro still looks flowing, light and nimble compared to the lump that is the Mustang ........ that’s my unbiased opinion.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
IMO if you look past the ridiculous amount of hype, the Mustang is a very ordinary car at best.
Aesthetically I think it looks good from certain angles but ugly from others. The rear end looks ghastly imo.
The interior is horrible in both design and quality and simply has no place in $60k car. There is simply no way I could live with that interior after forking out that amount of money.
Build quality is quite poor from what I've seen. Huge panel gaps and cheap nasty interior plastics that would be unacceptable in a $15k Chinese car let alone a premium Ford vehicle. Performance and handling is far from outstanding and the 2 star safety rating also highlights the lack of decent engineering in this car. IMO the Mustang isn't even half the car a VF or even a Falcon was.
The only reason this car is selling is because Ford is trading on the heritage of the nameplate to buyers who are blinded by the hype over it.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The Monaro was a passion project, the Mustang is a bunch of checkboxes on a spreadsheet, planned from day one (not the classics, the modern ones) by the accountants - come at me Ford fans.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I think if Holden was given the time and budget to replace the V2 Monaro with something based on the zeta platform and maintain the ethos of clean, classic lines, it would destroy the Mustang for appeal. Personally I think the VT-based Monaro is getting a bit long in the tooth to compare aesthetically with the new Mustang which has huge street appeal, even if it is a bit over-the-top.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The Monaro was a passion project, the Mustang is a bunch of checkboxes on a spreadsheet, planned from day one (not the classics, the modern ones) by the accountants - come at me Ford fans.

Very well said, Sir.

I think if Holden was given the time and budget to replace the V2 Monaro with something based on the zeta platform and maintain the ethos of clean, classic lines, it would destroy the Mustang for appeal. Personally I think the VT-based Monaro is getting a bit long in the tooth to compare aesthetically with the new Mustang which has huge street appeal, even if it is a bit over-the-top.

Yep, agree that the V2 Monaro is getting long in the tooth, after all it is a 1998 design as the VT Coupe. And contrary to what others have said about the VE Monaro, it was planned, along with the VE ute which was supposed to use the Monaro's doors. We all know what happened to them.
The VE Monaro was still better looking than the Mustang. (But, then, I'm not biased. Much.)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I tjink the passion behind the Monaro's design is an excellent description. It was designed by a team of car nuts who knew they were onto a winner. It might be old now but I would park one in my garage in an instant.

The Mustang is fugly and has Ford badges on it. In all honesty I have never liked it. The original models, particularly the second body style from 68 or 69, leave it for dead. Those cars were designed by car nuts too.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Yeah I dunno, I'm not a Ford guy either but I reckon they look decent. A friend of mine has a blood red 2016 Stang and I spotted it driving along a dark CBD cafe strip on the weekend and it looked stunning. We stopped and chatted and the whole cafe had a good ol' sideways look. Love 'em or hate 'em, you cant deny their kerbside appeal.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Yeah I dunno, I'm not a Ford guy either but I reckon they look decent. A friend of mine has a blood red 2016 Stang and I spotted it driving along a dark CBD cafe strip on the weekend and it looked stunning. We stopped and chatted and the whole cafe had a good ol' sideways look. Love 'em or hate 'em, you cant deny their kerbside appeal.

agreed, i'd drive one.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Can't compere the 2, the monaro was last produced in HSV form in 2006 and Holden form in 2015 so at least 10 years between the 2. I agree with some comments about the Mustang and Monaro, it's becoming more obvious the yanks slapped something together, put some decent power behind it, did sweet fa towards any refinement and used the Mustang name to sell it. Monaro was designed with passion and built with purpose to justify the name. I don't quite like the look of the new mustang but didn't mind the previous model, as for the Monaro getting long in the tooth I think you'll find if you keep one in the shed it will slowly raise in value in the coming years or at worst hold value, I can't see these mustangs ever doing anything other than losing value.

Last point, which would you rather have an accident in, one you could walk away from or one you may never walk again?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
It comes down to individual taste. The Mustang got a pasting over it's recent ANDCAP score however relative to even the last Monaro it'd win hands down. I'm not really a Monaro fan and never have been even from the start whilst I would happily own a 'stang (although highly unlikely to ever happen). Of course there are plenty of opinions either way and each are valid for whoever puts it forward.