Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Money Money Money...

T

tommi

See i got this slight problem - a large inbalance between how much work I want to do to my baby, and the amount of funds I have!
Even just to get my exhaust, suspension and wheels - i just can't afford it.
How did u guys do it, the ones who have spent alot of money on their cars?
Mebbe if I did the ol' bikini car wash i might b able to make a few dollars :p
lol otherwise i dunno...

R

Robbie

hmmm... I know I did it over time... a few months.. and did a lot of saving before starting.... I also redrew slightly on my car loan because i was so far in front... paying the loan off at a higher rate is like compulsary savings :) Just keep track of how much you are spending... also if you are patient you will always fiind a better deal!

Cheers,

Robbie

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
easy way to do up your car quick... put yourself in a **** load of debt! pay it off for the next 5 years. personally, not my way of going about it... but some people like it that way.

i had the money saved to buy my wheels and stereo, so thats how i did it

R

Robbie

lol.. too true.. also don't dpend the cash if you aren't going to keep the car.... cars don't gain value with mods!!!! but each to their own.. I've just had soooo many people tell me these things over time :)

Robbie

C

clinker1212

Amen to that Robbie. Doing up my car is like a hobby to me. I don't think I will sell it...anyway I'd start with the cheaper "do it yourself" stuff like putting in a cold air intake, stereo etc. I found that general maintenance of the car is costly enough let alone adding extras.

I paid $9000 for a VS which already had kick ass 17" wheels with low prof tyres. I work two jobs and within four months I have a nice stereo system ($1000 so far) upgraded my interior to calais leather ($550), added a chrome tip to my ehaust ($45) and will be shortly puting a CAI kit in ($100) and a K&N Filter ($180 incl cleaning kit). :)

But amongst this I have had to replace the power steering pump ($250), Water pump ($150) and tyres $(700).... Brakes are next :( but at least they are fairly easy

hope this sheds some light

Clint

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
As said abouve do it up over time or get a loan, start with the cheaper things then when the money is saved then get to bigger and better things.

Also waste of money if your just going to sell it soon.

I could go out and get everything done to my car right now and not worry bout it, but i like to do stuff to her slowly so i can still have money for other things.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
First things first, make sure you always have money tucked away for servicing and nothing else, thats the killer. Have a seperate fund for extras such as stereo, filters, etc etc... It takes time, so don't rush things. I didn't rplace speakers until about a yr and a half after i put the head unit in, but it didn't faze me. The general health of the car was always more important, as it always should be!!!

Andy :D

prettyboringbloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VSII SS 03 CV8 Monaro
I have a good job.. except the mortgage takes care of most of that money, but if you start a topless car wash, well PM me :p (just kidding) I actually started by doing cheap things, and getting stuff second hand, I had a pretty nice VL, I had the bumpers and door bottoms silvered out, cost 30 bucks for paint and My cousin painted it, spent $370 on wheels and tyres (S/H) they were VPSS at the time and I think that the shocking design was the reason, but hey they looked Mad on the VL! My dad and I tinted the windows, it took ages but saved a couple of hundred.

I now have a VX 5.7 HSV and I DO NOTHING to it.

Remember Mods will not really increase the value of your car to anyone else but an enthusiast, they make it better for you.

Just remember.. start small, you'll get there!

T

tommi

thanx to all the repliers,
knowing that alot of you too had to wait a fair while before making any mods is a comfort to me :p
pretty boring bloke, i'll pm ya and let u know within the next three days lol just kiddin :p