Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Monoblocs and 4ohm subs

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I currently have my pioneer 306C powered by a 2x100 wRMS amp until my fronts go in (thinking of Boston Pros). I searched and understand that monoblocs are best for subs, but my question is:

is it worth buying a monobloc to run a SVC sub given i cant wire up a 2ohm load?

Or

should i just bridge another 2 channel.

I only ask cause i cant find any amps in my pricerange (~$500-600) with sufficient power to match the 400wRMS of the sub. No intentions to upgrade sub within the year. Any input appreciated

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
For that sub, i'd say a cheap average amp like the Jaycar one would be fine. If you do plan to change subs in future, i'd buy something nicer and stick to 2 channel so the amp makes it's most power at 4 ohm.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
most monoblock amps are no different to normal amps except that they only have provision for one channel output which is a mix of 2 channel input. There is no real reason to buy a monoblock over any other full range bridgeable amplifier.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yup and so the fact that a monoblock (class D) is up to 90% efficent while most other multi channel amps (class ab) are around 60% because the amps are completely different designs doesn't matter?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
For 400Wrms, 25% efficiency is going to make stuff all difference. Stick with the more useful 2 channel.

Monoblocks are different to normal amps, they are more efficient, like garfa said, and they are designed to only run subwoofer frequencies, so they have a beefed up power supply to handle the extra draw for low frequecnies. In theory they should be better for driving a sub, but that is all they can ever drive... I'd much rather a 2 channel that can be used for another purpose if needed.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thanks for the input. Nothing against jaycar, but i wanted to avoid going down that path but I guess with my budget its my only option re Monoblocks so another two channel it is...

Off topic but i want my front amp under passenger seat. I already have 4ga power down the drivers side to the boot where the sub amp will be, Sub RCA's down passenger side. I'm guessing ill run the front power cable up the middle of the car from distro in boot, front RCA's down passenger side? Any recommendations on where to run the speaker wire? I have a fair bit of 16ga (i think) cable lying around but the jacket is quite thick. Thanks

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
garfa said:
yup and so the fact that a monoblock (class D) is up to 90% efficent while most other multi channel amps (class ab) are around 60% because the amps are completely different designs doesn't matter?

FYI monoblock does not specifically have to be class D. I have a JL Audio e1200 which is a class AB monoblock, but since its class AB, it can drive full range speakers if needed, hence no need to specifically go for monoblock.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
shaggerz said:
FYI monoblock does not specifically have to be class D. I have a JL Audio e1200 which is a class AB monoblock, but since its class AB, it can drive full range speakers if needed, hence no need to specifically go for monoblock.
um... shaggers, thats why i said CLASS D!
sorry but why in the hell would you even consider buying a mono-class ab amp to drive full range speakers?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
garfa said:
um... shaggers, thats why i said CLASS D!
sorry but why in the hell would you even consider buying a mono-class ab amp to drive full range speakers?

The original poster never specified class D, just monoblock, which can be whatever class you wish.

And as for why I would get a class AB monoblock, its because I believe (and this may or may not be justified it is just my personal belief) that class AB amps are better quality, but aside from that, the fact that I was looking for a subwoofer amp specifically landed me with the JL e1200, which happens to be perfectly suited for my needs, not that I ever expect to drive full range speakers with it.

I was just pointing out that the way you had it written, it sounded like all monoblocks were class D, since the original post never referred to class D and you did as if it was mandatory for a monoblock.

No offense intended