Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Monroe shocks

rwdv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Hi all,

I had kings SSL springs installed front and rear in my 17' VF redline. I kept factory shocks. It was fine at first, but 25k kms later basically the car rides like a VT on chopped springs, you know the type you see P platers doing single pegger burnouts in.

What I want to know is does anybody have monroe GT sport short shocks in their car with lowered springs, and if so how does it ride? Considering this before spending the money on Coil overs.

I'm after a comfortable ride more than anything else. The car does not get pushed hard often, and will never see a racetrack so I don't need the adjustability etc of coil overs.

All that being said I'm happy to spend some $$ so any recommendations for anything people are running would be good. Other option I have considered is Bilstein shocks with the springs I already have however want to hear from people on here before I fork out approx $1100 more when I may not have to.

Thanks

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Just be sure that whatever shocks you buy are valved for the lower and presumably heavier rate springs.
Monroe short shocks are I think, albeit not the longest lasting
Bilstein as usually found on Ebay may or may not be - a lot of 'sport' shocks are valved to replace eg. FE2 or whatever springs the manufacturer puts on their most common 'sport' model.
If the spring is too stiff for the shock I imagine you end up with too much compression damping and not enough rebound damping. So harsh AND floaty ride...
I think I had this on my VE SS - the Koni yellows were great with the FE2 springs but probably not ideal for Pedders.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Kings are junk, Lovells are much better. Had Kings before and way too harsh. Have Lovells now and they are brilliant. Super Spares offered me Kings, I said no Kings are junk. He replied yes the Lovells are a better spring....
People buy Kings primarily because of price.

rwdv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Thanks.

Anyone had any experience with TEIN or MCA coilovers?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
your in vic, if you want to pay for coilovers just go shockworks, mca would be another good option though.

but it really sounds like you just need a decent shock, such as bilsteins, or perhaps look at the koni fsd that cuda recently installed.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/which-shocks-should-i-get-for-my-vf-redline.281308/
Yeah, I agree. It sounds like a good set of shocks should fit the bill for the OP. I rate the Koni FSD's as I've previously posted. They're s great balance / compromise between performance and comfort. The lesson I learned though was that I should have stuck with the factory FE3 springs. In hindsight, the King Springs are not a good match with the FSD's.

rwdv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Yeah, I agree. It sounds like a good set of shocks should fit the bill for the OP. I rate the Koni FSD's as I've previously posted. They're s great balance / compromise between performance and comfort. The lesson I learned though was that I should have stuck with the factory FE3 springs. In hindsight, the King Springs are not a good match with the FSD's.

Interesting,

I've got kings in the vehicle now as stated previously. I've still got the fe3 springs at home, but would like to keep the lowered ride of the kings.

You mention the kings are not a good match with the FSD shocks, why is thaT?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Interesting,

I've got kings in the vehicle now as stated previously. I've still got the fe3 springs at home, but would like to keep the lowered ride of the kings.

You mention the kings are not a good match with the FSD shocks, why is thaT?
Just that the geometry is all wrong. The rear looks lower than the front. A different height King Spring may be ok, IDK?
That, and I've noticed the reat tends to rock from side to side over some bumps. It's still a huge improvement over the OEM Monroe's though.
I'm planning on refitting the FE3's tomorrow, so will see how they go and revert. Perhaps there's something else wrong in my rear suspension. Not too sure.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
your in vic, if you want to pay for coilovers just go shockworks, mca would be another good option though.

but it really sounds like you just need a decent shock, such as bilsteins, or perhaps look at the koni fsd that cuda recently installed.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/which-shocks-should-i-get-for-my-vf-redline.281308/

I had some Bilstein B8's on my VX - i did not rate the ride! First on the old FE2 springs, then i put some Kings in (because there was sfa available at the time). B8 was too harsh for me. I can understand the OP wanting to bring the nose down but yeah, physics is working against you. :)

I'd not buy Kings again, hell i didn't want to buy them in the first place but you know car old only so much out there.