Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Monty Monaro

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My 10.5 x 9 x 3.5 with 17deg pitch was around $28k plus erection. Plus council permits.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I was trying to get quaker barn passed then tried other designs which fit into rules yet council wouldn't sign off on so got pissed off & went to garage mob let them deal with council.

30k was garage mob pull down old asbestos garage,get rid of timber frames + old 7x8 slab...then they lay new slab thick enough for hoists & build new garage on top with highest eaves & pitch legal to put cars in roof....was tad left over for cheap hoist.

Seemed tad steep 5-6 years ago but if they got last design approved would have done it...fubar'd council wanted garage moved from bottom of backyard corner to middle after junky neighbour complaints...was farkin' mess so gave up.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Similar situation for me years ago...had redundancy money to build dream shed with hoist yet council wouldn't give approval even after going back & forth several times changing plans that still abided by council rules so gave up & made do with current crappy ol' garage.

Was roughly 30k which was baller spec triple setup....easily cost double that or more to build now.

OH !!!
Going off that and @losh1971 costs I'd be sweet as ( want to put triangular single carport in front of ) = then I'd be doing something really stupid and getting another toy as well !!!
But it's not going to be anywhere near that simple, = should and could be relatively so but ( no it won't be) so I'm expecting @MasterOfReality garage costs and even then I could be very surprized and disappointed.
Anyway counting chickens ATM = see if I've done sums right in 6 weeks and walk away with what I've counted .
The first priorities are about $24k/$25k pre tax into super , coin into a term deposit for CGT, and an amount that I will draw on over 5 years =help supplant income.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You won't know yourself with a hoist. I have a pit which is the next best thing. Trouble is pit is basically 2hrs away now. I think the ideal set up would be pit on one side of shed and hoist in middle bay. I find there is a few things that are easier with the pit than a hoist.
Trouble with pit is you have to sneak it in as council won't pass shed with pit. I had my shed passed before concrete slab was poured. I covered pit with trees I cut down in the bush, covered it with iron, then dirt. Vibrator over the dirt to make it look OK, then threw building materials over that to stop the inspector walking on it. Uncovered it, bricked it up and poured the shed slab.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Ideal set up is 4 post one side 2 post other side....negative is if only got 2 cars you'll buy 2 more 'cos can then fit 4 in there

Pits are ok but way more suited for sheds no concrete for hoists etc...can't beat a hoist especially as get older & know you'll never stop playing with cars.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I like the pit for ease of pulling an engine. You can get to everything in the bay and underneath at the same time. Then big beam, plus chain block a engine out. Although these days I don't see myself pulling too many engines unless I get another Torrie or Jeep that's not like the complicated engines that are above my skill and patience level.....

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah see how it goes.
If it does come off it will be a 4 post hoist because they are storage hoists and get the sliding jack for it.
I know the 2 post ones are more versatile for working on cars but I have the quick jack so can use it for oil changes, brake stuff , rotating the tyres etc.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
@afstruct, my total was around $80k. Not sure on the exact figure as I'm afraid to add it up haha.

From memory that was all council paperwork, site plans, earthworks and concrete, shed kit & erection, electrical fit out, plumbing and flooring.

The polyaspartic flooring was a last minute addition ($4,680) and the plumbing was a little unexpected ($5,632), and I had issues with the switchboard which cost me a grand extra to sort out.

Minus that lot, probably could have gotten away with it for around $70k. If you don't have another driveway to pour like I did, high $50k is the ballpark.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
@afstruct, my total was around $80k. Not sure on the exact figure as I'm afraid to add it up haha.

From memory that was all council paperwork, site plans, earthworks and concrete, shed kit & erection, electrical fit out, plumbing and flooring.

The polyaspartic flooring was a last minute addition ($4,680) and the plumbing was a little unexpected ($5,632), and I had issues with the switchboard which cost me a grand extra to sort out.
nd big fi
Minus that lot, probably could havotten away with it for around $70k. If you don't have another driveway to pour like I did, high $50k is the ballpark.

Yeah I have deconstruction and exuviation and a retaining wall.
I have been thinking over the last couple of months= outside the square = what I'll accept.

=== See where it ends up= I am flexible.
Met with the financial planner today .
What do u have = what's your plans= went through everything = expenditure into
tomorrow he Didn't bat an eyelid and said = your not going to run out of coin,
SOOO hopefully at least = this was with saying expense=Maloo, Monaro , Montecarlo , garage and house= expense
Photo = because!!!!