Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Monty Monaro

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
So after I got home from the missus place this morning I decided to see differences adjusting my front shocks rebound might make ( more for feel and reaction in normal driving) as Saturday lots of traffic around.
There's a nice little windy section down beside the lake from my place to Belmont ( like I said the right time of day not much traffic but when I went today not!! ) .
Anyway set on hardest setting and went down and back, could tell straight away ,more responsive, feel the bumps more ( not anywhere near as harsh as my maloo though ), but this roads pretty good so might not want it on this setting on really crapy roads).
Then set it back to full soft and went down, then set to middle setting and came back up.
Can definitely feel the differences .
Don't know if it my imagination but on full soft the steering feels a little more floaty especially in the straight line department .
I am happy setting make a noticeable difference and that's just cruising, so would expect a good difference if you want to have a play.
Have set to 25% above softest for next time I take it out and will see what I think then.
Also so easy to adjust, just pull over, pop bonnet grab adjuster and adjust both sides , close bonnet and you're away, literally 30 seconds.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Again a change of plans,( was going to do a service on the maloo this weekend) , but took the monaro down for a pink slip inspection yesterday , (it didn't pass , air bag warning light ( they've reset a few times and this time, we need to fix it ) .
So booked in Tuesday ( I could do it myself but also due for a service) , ( it's overdue , clocked over 100k about a month ago ). So I'll do service .)
Always remember back in about 2013/2014 at a Maitland show seeing/ drooling over a VF ssv redline in fantele orange and the sales rep saying keep monaro under 100k and me thinking but I love using it how do I do that!!!
What is the point of having them and not using it!!!.
Got a filter and sump plug , from Holden ( always go there for filters and sump plug washers/ bolts),yesterday and oil , sparky leads and spark plugs today ( at least other oils and such have been done resonatly ).
Dam , was not expecting that plugs were going to be that= very expensive ( or am I being taken for a ride ).
At least, checking receipts ,have never done plugs in 9 years and 39k ownership (hopefully will make a difference)
20180526_193625.jpg

20180526_194122.jpg

So quess what I'm doing tomorrow as when I got back from getting these I finally decided to repair my garage door .
It's been needing to be done for ages but until now and opening it at least 3 times a week lately it's really started to shxt me so today it's finally fixed!!!!

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah ,I take my time in deciding to get something and then just want to use it.
I make my disition on reading about how it drives and wanting to drive one , don't seee the point in not enjoying the use of it .
You see adds of extremely low mileage vechices selling for very high prices ( I don't buy anything new enough to really fit into that class) . And as prices go up of these so do ( at a lesser rate all the rest).
It does mean you get to occasionally buy low mileage ,nice examples of vechices (because other people don't use them as much) , wouldn't have got my maloo as a 16 year old vechice with only 85k on it if there wasn't for people like that.
Having said that
Sore on a Facebook maloo site today a vs ii at vt , one owner , 14.,800 kms , looked brand new ( not surprising) , but my first thought was how do you use it so little (not want to use it heaps), why did you buy it , as an investment housing and shares make so much more sense.

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
And for a small amount of time felt guilty about using it, but then just started enjoying the shxt out of using it .
And like I said take my time but really enjoy ( I'm very fortunate)using each of my vechices and their differences.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well had a win the other day , mechanic checked the air bag warning and came up with power supply history code ,so cleared ( hasn't come back yet , so fingers crossed) and changed brake fluid, got it regoed today.
Happy days.
Oil and filter on the weekend and then if nothing else comes up , the next two jobs are roof lining including sun visors as they're fabric as well and glove box hinge .

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a mod update, a use update, ( they're ment to be used, and as allways it's great fun).
Missus birthday last Friday and she's got 2 weeks off , so I got a week off and we're on a little road trip loopfor the week.
Newcastle to Mudgee ( where we are now) , then on to Jenolan Caves and then Blue Mountains before heading back home .
20180723_174814.jpg

Not the best photo, hopefully try and get a few over the next few days.
Was thinking and worrying about the rear shocks and how it was feeling in transition in cornering on local roads recently but on open road even with luggage and a full tank ,handling was great. Speaking of fuel ( probably not bad for what it is , especially as gave it a bit a few times , overtaking and such , windy roads etc, more luggage and 2 people) compared to Christmas trip ( coffs harbour to newy), ( which was a total cruise at speed limit with 1 person) , almost same fuel usage 11.6 liters per 100kms.
It was washed and waxed before we went but it's very dry out here so already a bit dusty and -6 degrees last night so ice on roof, still looking pretty clean , well sort of , more so on some panels.

Attachments

• 20180722_171821.jpg
    20180722_171821.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 226

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So back home after the week away, monaro went very well as always , no problems or dramas just a very enjoyable trip.
Here's another photo at the motel in Mudgee.

Here's a couple in the Munghorn Gap nature reserve a little north west of Mudgee .
Found a bush walk here I want to do but got out there too late so one for next time.
It's very dry out there, can see why farmers are really suffering atm.
20180729_160406.jpg

20180729_160317.jpg

In the car park at Jenolan Caves where we stayed a night , did a walk and went through one of the caves.

Next we stayed in Leura , a few bush walks, a look around the shops and cafes in Leura and Katoomba.
Came back after one trip around shops and something newer and very nice parked next to us. Although I'm keeping the monaro .

A couple of photos of the bonnet after got home .

https://i.imgur.com/TmzBRDL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/TmzBRDL.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/NLIf4rz.jpg[/img]']

Opps that's better!!!
Had rain last night while we were in having dinner.
They're not perfect and do have their down sides but why I like the car bra.
It helps that I got it with the VU SS ,so just kept it when I traded it for the monaro.
There are some stone chips on the bonnet now from when I haven't used it.

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually, thinking about it there was two issues.
One was coming out of Jenolan Caves, coach coming the other way, ( narrow roads ) , we both came to a stand still, I squeaked past but scraped the bottom of the the passengers side skirt, just under the rolled edge of the side skirt. ( have to have a better look when I clean /wash it) , don't think it's really noticeable ( but I know it's there so annoying). Not sure what I'll do yet , we'll see.

Other was I noticed a distinct louder / different wine when I put my foot down ( oh, hang on that was the missus ).!!!!
The different reactions you get , from they're useless ,you needed get past them ,
to was that necessary , me = having fun
to what are you doing ( me = having fun ,again!! ).
Funny how when I first had it done, it was wow and first time she drove it, put her foot down and it's wow it really wants to go.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Jenolan Cave yeah she is pretty tight when you meet a coach and you're already in the tunnel. I had to back out as the coach was no way getting past me.