Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

more heater dramas, to do with aircond

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So the short is I had a blocked drain that I cleared because it was spilling water on the drivers side through the control levers and up even higher. All good got under and drained the box, chocka with water. Now heater works fairly decent but there is one exception once I put the aircond on at the same time there air out the vents gets barley lukewarm. Switch the aircond switch off and after 2-3 mins air is blowing quite warm but the windows fog up. Is this just the way VR's are or is there something I can do to use both air and heater at the same time? Or is this still related to partially blocked core?? Core has been chemical and reverse flushed a few months ago.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm happy to flush the core again and am even happy to pay another $130 to the rad bloke who flushed it last time as I'm no tight-arse. But if there is something else going on I'd like to try that first.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
If you put a glass in the freezer for 1/2 an hr then pull it out what happens? ...any moisture in the cab will turn to condensation on the windshield/windows...
Ever been to the submarine races and seen windows of the couples cars :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you put a glass in the freezer for 1/2 an hr then pull it out what happens? ...any moisture in the cab will turn to condensation on the windshield/windows...
Ever been to the submarine races and seen windows of the couples cars :D

Yes, so is this just the way VR's are? Minus 10-12s I can have my heater on but will the passenger window need to be left down 1/4 way to stop fogging?? I thought aircon was supposed to dry the warm air not cool it as well?? If it is what it is, then I will just have to wind down the window a bit.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
rotary switch around to red(full clockwise) selector on demist and fan on full should stop fogging in about 2 to 3min...if you have any water in the cab under the dash this will make it worse until it drys out...I always drive with drivers side window down slightly..that way if I ever ditch in a river it will make the end quicker :D na!..... I find my SA is better with window cracked can hear the sneaky little suckers in my blind spot better.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Be interesting to see if the fogging improves once the box dries out properly it was really chocka with water and I have a sneaky suspicion I was getting some mist out of the vents every now and then early on today before it was drained.
On the original question Wozza is the aircond and heater issue a VR thing that can not be solved?? I just never had a car with aircond that affected the warmth of the heater before, while running both at the same time.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Ive never run both at the same time so cant say...never even thought to do so see no point :) aircon for 38+ days,heater for demisting windshield then switch off till the missus starts to moan.....Im a motorcyclist at heart so like to feel the elements

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only reason you really need to run both simultaneously is to dry the air and prevent fogging. Might just be a VR ute thing.... Dunno about other VR's but overall I can safely say at least my ute anyway was fairly poorly put together, so this could just be another dodgly built Holden thing.....

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Only reason you really need to run both simultaneously is to dry the air and prevent fogging. Might just be a VR ute thing.... Dunno about other VR's but overall I can safely say at least my ute anyway was fairly poorly put together, so this could just be another dodgly built Holden thing.....

Not a dodgey built car just getting old. All the foam seals and rubber door seals in the hvac box will have degraded so what you get is air seaping past evap core, heater core and the box probably still has loads of moisture still in there.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Are all the flaps opening and closing properly? Sounds like you might be getting a mix of hot and cold air making it feel Luke warm.