Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

more heater dramas, to do with aircond

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are all the flaps opening and closing properly? Sounds like you might be getting a mix of hot and cold air making it feel Luke warm.
Is there a way I can test the flaps Greenacc to see if they are closing like they should? If it's the seals then that's box out and I guess I have to put up with it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm gonna go over and have a chat to the rad/air tech if he is at work today. Gonna ask him if there is anything that can be easily done to rectify the issue like adjustment or something else minor or if it is basically big money. I reckon I will probably get a second flush regardless. If it comes down to be decent money to fix the issue properly I will just live with it. It wasn't too bad this morn on the way to work. On demist it didn't fog up when running the heater alone, without air. On recirculate it gets pretty warm after 10-15mins so if it works that well in May-Oct when the temps are below zero then I will be ok with that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Had a chat to the rad tech. He mentioned blend door as a possible cause. I looked just now and both the vac lever and mech levers are moving as they should. Is it possible to see if the blend door is shutting and opening as it should as I looked but couldn't see any doors/flaps.

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
Failry common on the veh
Be interesting to see if the fogging improves once the box dries out properly it was really chocka with water and I have a sneaky suspicion I was getting some mist out of the vents every now and then early on today before it was drained.
On the original question Wozza is the aircond and heater issue a VR thing that can not be solved?? I just never had a car with aircond that affected the warmth of the heater before, while running both at the same time.
Fairly common on most vehicles I have owned. If the air con is too cold, turn the heater on a bit. When defrosting on a cold night, aircon on and turn the heater up to compensate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Failry common on the veh

Fairly common on most vehicles I have owned. If the air con is too cold, turn the heater on a bit. When defrosting on a cold night, aircon on and turn the heater up to compensate.
issue i have is once you put the aircon on the heater blows cold air. Doesn't matter if I put it on full heat, still cold. Turn air off and warm air starts to blow after a min or two.

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
issue i have is once you put the aircon on the heater blows cold air. Doesn't matter if I put it on full heat, still cold. Turn air off and warm air starts to blow after a min or two.
Have you checked the heater tap? It may be full of crap and not shutting/opening correctly. Also check that when the knob is ryned that the sahft is moving the tap. (left of brake pedal).I had an issue with the vent control also and it was the vacuum fitting on the selector installed incorrectly (upside down). Also at the moment it blows a bit hot so I am thinking my tap may be dodgy.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Is there a way I can test the flaps Greenacc to see if they are closing like they should? If it's the seals then that's box out and I guess I have to put up with it.

Yes there is a way to test the blend door is working when you operate the temp dial.
In the drivers footwell in the centre of the dash on top of the transmission tunnel, left of brake pedal is an actuator rod that's attached to the cold/hot temp dial one end and the blend door lever on the side of the HVAC box.
Check if it's attached both ends and that it moves the blend door lever back and forth when you turn the dial to hot and cold.
You gonna have to squeeze down in the footwell to look up behind the center of the dash above the trans tunnel to get a look.

Also check if the actuator rod has flogged out the blend door lever where the rod clips into the lever. Pretty common thing that happens to them from incorrect adjustment.
There is an adjustment procedure for the blend door.

If its moving you may have an adjustment issue, and/or a vacuum issue.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I can confirm the heater core is not blocked. I made a tool to reverse flush the core using some brass fittings bought from the plumbing supplies and connected it to my garden hose. I chemically and reverse flushed it this arvo. The core runs free when the hose is connected, so I can now safely eliminate the core being blocked.

If I run the heater on recirculate it is warm as, but it goes cool once the aircond is switch on, circulate or not.

If I run fresh air with no aircond the passenger side is blowing warmer air than the drivers side. Even on the middle dash vent which is supposed to be a single vent the drivers side is luke warm and the passenger side is nice.

Only with no aircond and recirculate on does the heater work properly.

Does that mean the issue lies with the blend door? If yes is this a big job?? I had a look and I really can not work out how to go about fixing this myself. I really need someone to show me what to do as this is the first time in years I have had a car with a dodgy heater. So I may need to book it in to the radiator tech.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hey Losh,
I'm trying to think whether I can help with this as I have done the whole dash out , re-construct heater box thing a couple years ago on my VP. Also looking at VT2commie's reply above as a prompt for my (ageing) memory. Suggestion, (good if VT2commie can confirm please) look at other end of the rod activated by the heater on/off control, so on the glovebox end of that rod, to check that the blend flap end is connected and working as it should. You may have to drop the glovebox out to get a better look. VT2 indicates there is an adjustment on that end also. How big a job the blend door is probably depends on whether the problem is at the connection on the end of the temp control rod or at the other end which is buried up next to the firewall. The seals on the flaps were all pretty shagged on my job so I replaced them with self adhesive felt (I think) from our local Spotlight. Don't know how that may have changed clearances etc but it is ok in our temp range.
To be honest the dash out job is such a pain in the proverbial that I think my brain has done it's best to forget all about it. Definitely there is something not right in your ute that you get cold air out with the heater on and aircon running. You should get hot/warm DRY air which is why it clears the windscreen of condensation so quickly. Mind you I do not operate my car (in Nowra, NSW) in the cold temps you are indicating.
Keep us posted and ask more questions as you proceed as I may remember more as your questions prompt me. Good luck with it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I don't want to remove the dash, been there done that on another car and it sucked. Not to mention really expensive because only a crazy man wouldn't replace evap and core at the same time. So it sounds like there are two blend doors. Ive pulled the glove box before to remove a tax receipt that was sucked inside and was making a flappy noise. If a mech could check the blend doors operation in an hour then id be happy to pay him to do it. But if its 3hrs then I have to figure it out myself.