Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More power from a 304

T

the fabricator

Signed up to the forums to try and do a bit of homework for a mate who doesn't have internet access, He's recently brought a VN SS and want’s to try and get a bit more power out of the engine but doesn't have much money to spend, and doesn't want to remove the engine from the car. Besides the obviously low budget power mods (cold air, extractors, chip, etc) what would you guys recommend doing? He’s interested in putting a different intake manifold on it, does anyone make a custom manifold with better air flow to suit this motor???

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

D

dpac

nice car ur mate has got there, :w00t: :w00t: (i have one) :whistling

manifolds, well if you were changing manifold you would want to get the bolt on stuff done as you mentioned, extractors,exhaust,CAI, etc

then manifolds, keeping it EFI

Twinthrottle -Flowcraft/ there is another one similar to this but can't think of it
COME- this is what i would go about $2000 fitted
VN/VL grpa- rare pay about $3500-5000

Single
-Starr 90mm- stocker look, expensive too

don't worry about the chip, but after the mods have been done, get a custom tune to suit the mods done......

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
VN SS Power Mods

the fabricator said:
Signed up to the forums to try and do a bit of homework for a mate who doesn't have internet access, He's recently brought a VN SS and want’s to try and get a bit more power out of the engine but doesn't have much money to spend, and doesn't want to remove the engine from the car. Besides the obviously low budget power mods (cold air, extractors, chip, etc) what would you guys recommend doing? He’s interested in putting a different intake manifold on it, does anyone make a custom manifold with better air flow to suit this motor???

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hey i am in the same postion. I have owned my 91 vn ss for 2 weeks and i wanna do everything 2 make it go hard :b: . Here is some of the mods Im looking into and they may help your mate get some more out of the 5litre 304 .775 injectors - out of Magna lol... Crane Cam w lifters, Stainless 2 1/2" w Ultra Flow Lukey off my Headers, Bigger Throttle Body,Irridium Plugs, Top Gun Performance Ignition Leads, 3.4.5 LSD Ratio Change,rebuild Stage 2 Shift Kit, 3000 High Stall, Edelbrook Inlet, Strut Brace (no power increase but handling), Internal work like head, over boar etc.. etc... "very much in the future" :whistling . When all the mods are complete a Remped ECU would be the go and on the dyno it goes. Maybe a 1/4 pass wouldn't be a bad idea 2 see where all the money goes :)

On the Cheaper side for ya mate,headers, exhaust, cold air intake, good plugs, Top Gun or Eagle Performance Leads and a cam either crow or crane. :king: That will get the 5LITRE going well!

H

HSV1992

dpac said:
nice car ur mate has got there, :w00t: :w00t: (i have one) :whistling

manifolds, well if you were changing manifold you would want to get the bolt on stuff done as you mentioned, extractors,exhaust,CAI, etc

then manifolds, keeping it EFI

Twinthrottle -Flowcraft/ there is another one similar to this but can't think of it
COME- this is what i would go about $2000 fitted
VN/VL grpa- rare pay about $3500-5000

Single
-Starr 90mm- stocker look, expensive too

don't worry about the chip, but after the mods have been done, get a custom tune to suit the mods done......

COME manifolds are $2750 and thats just for the manifold not fitted then you have to tune it and it will cost over $5000 just to get the engine to be able to use that amount of air through the intake.
The manifold is only good for stroker and strong 5ltr engines, the standard manifold is good for 250kw anyways and I have seen cars run 12.4 quarter miles with the standard manifold.