Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

more power from rb30

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
well i think all power is to be made in the intake side of things.

get an XF throttle body, bigger air ducting, fit a catch can to keep your nice new air ducting clean.

i figure the problem layes with the small size of the AFM, there has to be a way to make it bigger.

ill chop into my oil one this weekend and see what i can do with it.

get a good tune, run the afm output at 2.1v and that'll be good.

and with this new air intake you want to maximize the effect with a good air cleaner and colder air, i would think cutting a hole under the airbox would not be in favour of the law, possibly run a pipe out the motor side of the box and down to the bumper, dont forget to put an air hole in it, to let water escape, might want to put a shamfer on the hole to stop the air making a whistling sound when goign through it, i havent actually dont it but i imagine it would make a sound, maybe a good one...

edit:
nice engine bay mate, from what you can see it looks pretty special

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
does anyone know what to expect power wise, if you did all as in post #4?

two members on hear (ucwepn and somelse) are making ruffly 100rwkw with those mods posted in post 4, minus XF throttle i believe

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
i figure the problem layes with the small size of the AFM, there has to be a way to make it bigger.

ill chop into my oil one this weekend and see what i can do with it.

get a good tune, run the afm output at 2.1v and that'll be good.

? AFM? What the heck is AFM mate?

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
Air Flow Meter. that thing with the plug & wires just behind your air filter box

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I reckon with the advanced timing CAI and XF TB I would easily get the 120+rwkw that I am gunning for (could raise the compression for more). I know people say "go turbo! go turbo!" which I agree with, but I also think there is something special about an NA with mods, Just my opinion LOL If I was to go turbo I'd just get an R32 gts-t halfcut and go from there with the rb20 being a decent unit and a pretty much straight slot in conversion.

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
You put the pod where the air box is... Its not hard to make your own box to house the pod, and run a custom CAI through to the POD.

This is what I did to my VL, and the next stage was going to be to replace the standard box with my own housing a POD:

do u face the pipe towards the wind?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I reckon with the advanced timing CAI and XF TB I would easily get the 120+rwkw that I am gunning for (could raise the compression for more). I know people say "go turbo! go turbo!" which I agree with, but I also think there is something special about an NA with mods, Just my opinion LOL If I was to go turbo I'd just get an R32 gts-t halfcut and go from there with the rb20 being a decent unit and a pretty much straight slot in conversion.

120rwkw with advanced timing, cai and xf tb? Not a chance as far as I can see. Maybe around 100, but that next 20 is a rather large step, cam and chip, and a bit more and maybe.

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
Basics really!

Understanding ya computer and the codes

Keeping the dizzy nice and clean (ya know the insides)

Good maintenance; like never squimp on replacing the air filter or stuff like that.

Use good fuel and try ta get the water out of ya fuel tank.

Check all ya runnin gear so that ya VL is really slick. Go overboard and really full-on, onya oils and grease and stuff.

Keep ya Dizzy cap sort of new and the rotor.

Pay good attention ta ya spark plugs and check the gap.

Keep ya motor clean and keep to the specifications for most stuff in the workshop manuals.

If ya really love ya car, then just keep to the basics; if ya fall in love with the oil colour and consistency as well as all the other fluids then ya will know what ya car is tellin ya.

Lubrication for VL's (important) will not only make things last longer but let you ****in rip the road man.