Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More project Q's

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Hey All

I'm rebuilding my carby in the next day or so, is there anything i should remember before starting her after its installed? eg. fuel flow wise, not carby build tips.

Exhaust - Is it legal to put a highflow cat on old school commies no emissions laws against it?

Exhaust Setup - 2inch end pipe on extractors, "maybe cat" followed by a 2.5 for the mid section onto a 1.5 after the diff, is this setup okay? should sound alright?

A question for 202 owners with an eco gauge, whats the perfect timing that is notice able on the eco gauge, idleing at cruise in N ? I can get the timing right, its more a matter of the good tune up.

[EDIT] - Timing - engine fires with 1st cylinder compression up? or down?

Extravtors - would these boost my original idle rpm by 1 mark? or idle should be the same as it was with an exhausthead? .

Is there a place i can get the exhaust rubber thats mounted about the rubbers before the diff, on the underbody.. its a pain hearing it rattle on the underbody. < -- not really worried about this one as it may go away after i replace the exhaust with the above setup.

Please no negative comments.

Last edited:

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
Hey All

I'm rebuilding my carby in the next day or so, is there anything i should remember before starting her after its installed? eg. fuel flow wise, not carby build tips.

Exhaust - Is it legal to put a highflow cat on old school commies no emissions laws against it?

Exhaust Setup - 2inch end pipe on extractors, "maybe cat" followed by a 2.5 for the mid section onto a 1.5 after the diff, is this setup okay? should sound alright?

A question for 202 owners with an eco gauge, whats the perfect timing that is notice able on the eco gauge, idleing at cruise in N ? I can get the timing right, its more a matter of the good tune up.

Extravtors - would these boost my original idle rpm by 1 mark? or idle should be the same as it was with an exhausthead? .

Is there a place i can get the exhaust rubber thats mounted about the rubbers before the diff, on the underbody.. its a pain hearing it rattle on the underbody. < -- not really worried about this one as it may go away after i replace the exhaust with the above setup.

Exhaust - set-up sounds ok except stick with a single bore pref 2" or 2.25" all the way through DONT reduce it down to 1.5" you'll undo all the good work done on the motor. dont know what extractors your running but aim for ones with a 2.25 collector and get a system flanged up to go same diameter right through. dont worry about the catback thingy (I know stuff all about em except Cats arent required on anything prior to VL), get the exhaust shop to recommend a good quality turbo muffler / sports muffler and your 6 will sound like an 8 at the tailpipe at idle. dont go bigger than 2.25" on a 202, you'll lose power unless running a massive cam.

The exhaust shop should sort that rattle out for you

a tip when lookin at extractors is to get a set where the primary pipes exiting the head go out straight a little and gently (as possible with a 202) bend down. avoid ones where the pipes go down sharply from the head. look at Pacemakers I'd suggest, its worth paying a bit extra for something thats gonna kill a **** pair.

Timing is measured from No.1 cyl at top dead centre.

goodluck

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
cheers mate, thanks for the tip on the exhaust, i'll change it around now :)

The extractors are good, they go down on a angle :)

As for the v8 sound, if it sounds like crackling type noise i already have that :)

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hey All

Not really, just make sure its all bolted up right and fire it up.

Huh why the hell would you want to put a cat on your exaust unless you have to? Dont do it there is no need.

Exhaust should match the work thats been done to the engine, what gearing you have and the type of driving you do.
On my old worked 202 I ran a 2 1/2" system all the way through with a single muffler just behind the passengers side seat mountings and a huge hotdog where the rear muffler would go. On a stocker a 2" or 2 1/4" system would probably be fine and my not need a hotdog. I would try it without one first if its too loud or drones then fit one.

The economy guage measures manifold vacumn, depending on cam, engine rpm, and timing will depend on where it should sit at idle.From memory my car used to idle at around 15inches of mercury fluctuating about+/-4hg due to the cams lobe offset.

Fires on the compression stroke

Extractors or most probably tube headers shouldnt raise or lower your idle rpm at all. Tube headers & Extractors will help at higher end RPM. you will need some internal engine mods before you require them. As for sound a 202 will never sound like a V8 or even compare in sound. You can get a deeper note, porting your head will also change the note of the exhaust.

If your exhaust is mounted correctly and your car isnt riding on its bump stops it shouldnt rattle, vibrate, rub on anything. The rubbers might just need replacing, or you could just wait for your new exhaust. Probably the cheapest place to buy rubbers would be your local exhaust shop esp if they see your face around there a few times they will look after you.

We all have to learn good luck with the car

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Thanks mate..

For a torque question..

If i had 2 vc's one with extractors they other with a normal exhaust traveling at 100k each, the one with extractors would have a faster 100k pace ? or just better pickup to 100k mark?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
That really depends on a huge number of things, if the engines were both stock and the only change I doubpt there would be much difference one would have gains at the beginning due to torque the other would have gains at higher rpms. Backpressure helps torque.

Generally you will loose a bit of torque by fitting extractors/hedders but you pick up better flow at higher RPMS.So if your pulling RPM above 4500 then you should get some benifit.
To achieve the performance you will need a different cam, head work, valves, valve springs, improved carburation... among other engine mods.

cheers
Scott

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
That really depends on a huge number of things, if the engines were both stock and the only change I doubpt there would be much difference one would have gains at the beginning due to torque the other would have gains at higher rpms. Backpressure helps torque.

Generally you will loose a bit of torque by fitting extractors/hedders but you pick up better flow at higher RPMS.So if your pulling RPM above 4500 then you should get some benifit.
To achieve the performance you will need a different cam, head work, valves, valve springs, improved carburation... among other engine mods.

cheers
Scott

Thanks mate, i was thinking something similar, but cheers for the info :thumbsup:

Oh well, morning ahead i must get some rest before another hot ass day :ranting:

for those that are intrested, i'll make a post after the jobs are done to let yah know how things worked out :thumbsup: