Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

More Proof Holden Hates Commodore

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
They don't think the new Commodore is going to be any sort of saviour; Falcodores had sales that were inflated over other cars of the same size by being RWD and large and grunty, whereas the new Commodore is being thrown into a pool full of hungry Camrys & Accords. I don't know if they've published expected sales figures, but they've said they'd be low compared to Realmmodore, I don't know if they'd be aiming at even 5k/yr.

I reckon they're banking on selling backwards cheap-to-make commercial vehicles as passenger vehicles & at passenger-vehicle money to make a quick buck, stuff like the Trax and the Captiva replacement and of course the phenomenon of the Rodeo for Redline money.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
When you see a car that is being sold on the basis of having four cup holders, it seems to tell me you don't have a great all around product to sell. If you look at the Holden website for the Trax for example. The engine and specs are the last thing it is selling.

The Astra, Cascada, Cruze, Spark and Barina are hardly market leaders and while the Astra is a pretty well put together car in its latest version, is it going to be high on your list when shopping?

Maybe the new "Commodore" will be its savior but do you really think so?
No unfortunately.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
When you see a car that is being sold on the basis of having four cup holders, it seems to tell me you don't have a great all around product to sell. If you look at the Holden website for the Trax for example. The engine and specs are the last thing it is selling.

The Astra, Cascada, Cruze, Spark and Barina are hardly market leaders and while the Astra is a pretty well put together car in its latest version, is it going to be high on your list when shopping?

Maybe the new "Commodore" will be its savior but do you really think so?

Nope. Not a chance because:
It's lobbing into another diminishing market sector for a start.
It will cost more.
It won't appeal to "traditional" Holden buyers (if there are any left).
It won't get the fleet sales that were bread and butter for Holden for years.
It's not an SUV.

Last edited:

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
I'd say the marketing people know they have knowwhere else to hide with the shite selection of cars they now have to offer so this new bisexual hipster bullshit is all they can come up with as a last roll of the dice.

Agree 100%

Also, many people stopped buying falcodores because lots of bang for buck models entered the market and also because falcodores heavily carried a bogan image.
I have friends who loved driving my xr6t and my new SS but would never, EVER own one because they are so image conscious.
Personally I don't care if people judge me for what I drive, although I do care about what I drive.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Being judged for what I drove used to be a problem; driving a Volvo 240-series, I used to be cut-off in traffic all the time, and people wouldn't let me merge in (for fear of being held-up I guess).

What's funny is the image people think they're presenting versus the image they're really presenting. No, that SUV doesn't make everyone think you're a fit outdoorsy type, everyone thinks you've given-up on life ...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Forg.

I know you despise SUV's. You've made the fact patently obvious almost since your first post in this forum.

I couldn't care less what others think about me or my car. I didn't buy it to impress the community about my virility or athletic lifestyle.

I bought it because my knees are completely rooted and it's easier to enter and exit than modern sedans. No other reason. I'm not unique. Lots of old drivers find modern cars have become increasingly difficult to get in and out of because they sit so low. We'd probably prefer to drive a properly engineered sedan but they are no longer practical.

I didn't buy a hulking land yacht. It's a modest four cylinder auto with no performance to boast about but it is economical- another important consideration.

I'll bet a lot of those other older drivers don't give a rat's arse about image either.

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
Keeping the "Commodore" name is probably the worst decision Holden are making, but unfortunately they are trying to have it both ways. They want to keep the brand recognition that the Commodore has in the medium-large size vehicle segment, but disregard all the history associated with the Commodore.

The latter is because they have to - for all intents and purposes the new "Commodore" is a rebadged Opel. They have to distance it from the car "dad used to drive" because it's nothing like it. What they don't understand is that the value of the Commodore brand is the rich history behind it. Every win at Bathurst, every trip down up the coast with the family, every lost virginity in the back seat of a Commodore is what made made the car part of the Australian psyche. Now they want to distance themselves from that.

Yes the Commodore got a bad rap as being a favourite mode of transport of the "bogan" - but only because it was an affordable, mostly reliable Australian made car, made for Australian conditions.

Personally I think the Commodore name should die with the last one that rolls off the line, and actually think Holden will realise this 12-18 months after they launch the "new" Commodore.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Yes the commodore I'd dead and the new one won't sell that good but how many sub drivers had a **** Easter as they couldn't overtake and had to top up on fuel heaps, they're not that economical in the real world.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Forg.

I know you despise SUV's. You've made the fact patently obvious almost since your first post in this forum.

I couldn't care less what others think about me or my car. I didn't buy it to impress the community about my virility or athletic lifestyle.

I bought it because my knees are completely rooted and it's easier to enter and exit than modern sedans. No other reason. I'm not unique. Lots of old drivers find modern cars have become increasingly difficult to get in and out of because they sit so low. We'd probably prefer to drive a properly engineered sedan but they are no longer practical.

I didn't buy a hulking land yacht. It's a modest four cylinder auto with no performance to boast about but it is economical- another important consideration.

I'll bet a lot of those other older drivers don't give a rat's arse about image either.
Don't I know it, I had to rollout of my old 308 Ferrari and then trying to get up off the ground, I was going to get a optional grab handle on the side of it, so as to have something as to get up with, or just have a pretty girl help me out, but then people walk by saying, who's that filthy rich good looking old bugger driving about with that gorgeous young bird, all the time.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Don't I know it, I had to rollout of my old 308 Ferrari and then trying to get up off the ground, I was going to get a optional grab handle on the side of it, so as to have something as to get up with, or just have a pretty girl help me out, but then people walk by saying, who's that filthy rich good looking old bugger driving about with that gorgeous young bird, all the time.
First world problems Zeke. Lol