Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Moreys oil stabalizer.

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Has any body used moreys oil stabalizer ? I am thinking of trying in my vf 6ltr calais just to quiet down a slight lifter noise i have . Any input would be muchly appreciated .

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It wont do anything. When a lifter is noisy the roller already has a flat spot and oil additives are a snake oil fix.
You need to do cam bearings, cam, lifters at a minimum we also do the oil pump and timing chain where I work. But it's easier to just do a rebuild.

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Mine is 6ltr no timing chain , it is only a slight noise . It has the dod system , will it block up this system ?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Mine is 6ltr no timing chain , it is only a slight noise . It has the dod system , will it block up this system ?
Yes it does have a timing chain how else does the cam get driven?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
How bad is it? Can you post a sound clip or vid?

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
I will try but is not that bad i am just a bit fussy. I would say it is just one lifter on the drivers side , every so often when it sits for a couple of nights it bleeds down and clacks for a second or two on start up .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It wont do anything. When a lifter is noisy the roller already has a flat spot and oil additives are a snake oil fix.
You need to do cam bearings, cam, lifters at a minimum we also do the oil pump and timing chain where I work. But it's easier to just do a rebuild.

So basically you take the symptom of a noisy lifter and conclude a full engine rebuild?

You do know that hydraulic lifters can tick without causing complete engine failures right?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So basically you take the symptom of a noisy lifter and conclude a full engine rebuild?

You do know that hydraulic lifters can tick without causing complete engine failures right?

Yes I know. But 99% of the time with the VE 6l engines the lifters are gone. The case hardening wears off the roller in one spot so you get little hard bits of metal through the pump. When you check the cam bearings they're allways worn. If you fail to rectify the bearings and the pump it could cause the same issue in less than 40,000km.
So when I do one I strip the engine down to the short block and most people don't want to touch the pistons and rods but it's not much extra to just do the whole engine.

So no a rebuild is not nessacery but it's they way I would go myself.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ls engine’s are strange things. You can hear every little sound - and it becomes easier to hear when you fit extractors and remove engine covers.

They’re very sensitive to different oils too - but only in terms of the sounds the engine will make. They’re pretty robust - I wouldn’t worry about it.