Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Moreys oil stabalizer.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Ls engine’s are strange things. You can hear every little sound - and it becomes easier to hear when you fit extractors and remove engine covers.

They’re very sensitive to different oils too - but only in terms of the sounds the engine will make. They’re pretty robust - I wouldn’t worry about it.
I've got two ruined cams on the bench at work right now one l76 the other l77 I've seen l98's do the same thing.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
If the lifter clicks for a few seconds after the car hasn't been run for a few days I think this is called 'bleeding down'? Basically some of the oil has leaked out of it and will be filled up again within a few seconds of starting the engine? Not sure that this needs a new lifter - my VE SS would do this at 50 kkms and so would Mum's Camry at the same mileage. The other thing to think about would be the oil filter - possibly the anti-drain-back valve is not working properly and so takes a little longer to get oil pressure and fill said lifter. Or if you are running thicker oil it might take longer to fill the system on startup...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does the LS3 use the DOD system on the VF?

The DOD lifters do have a reputation for failing/collapsing? IF the DOD isn't used, put standard lifters in the sucker and the problem is solved.
A4100_97400__92193.1542827758.jpg

As you can see, the DOD lifters are bigger/heavier. If they aren't needed than deleting em is good for piece of mind. I believe LS7 lifters are a direct replacement and can be had for a decent price. That is, if it's the way you want to go.

Do some research on the GM DOD system and lifter failures, it's is a fairly common issue (the DOD part failing that is).

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Does the LS3 use the DOD system on the VF?

The DOD lifters do have a reputation for failing/collapsing? IF the DOD isn't used, put standard lifters in the sucker and the problem is solved.
A4100_97400__92193.1542827758.jpg

As you can see, the DOD lifters are bigger/heavier. If they aren't needed than deleting em is good for piece of mind. I believe LS7 lifters are a direct replacement and can be had for a decent price. That is, if it's the way you want to go.

Do some research on the GM DOD system and lifter failures, it's is a fairly common issue (the DOD part failing that is).
I have a l77 here that has one of the non active lifters dead. it's not the DOD system it's a lack of oil supply caused by worn cam bearings.

Any way people can do what they want if they don't listen to some guy on a forum then good.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I mention the DOD system as the OP said his car has it fitted.

Brown Dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Nitrate Manual Redline
LS3 doesn't have DOD - i think the OP is 6.0L

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
No LS3 has DOD, the 6.2L AFM variant is called L99 not offered in australian models.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I have a l77 here that has one of the non active lifters dead. it's not the DOD system it's a lack of oil supply caused by worn cam bearings.

Any way people can do what they want if they don't listen to some guy on a forum then good.

Better to see a good mechanic and have it properly diagnosed. The reality is, there is nowhere near enough information here to diagnose this. There may be nothing at all wrong with this L77. Conversely it may have one or more lifters about to fail, as you have assumed. But, jumping to the worst case scenario based on a couple of paragraphs, then getting all defensive and acting like you're the only person who knows **** is just egomaniacial.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
No LS3 has DOD, the 6.2L AFM variant is called L99 not offered in australian models.
Better to see a good mechanic and have it properly diagnosed. The reality is, there is nowhere near enough information here to diagnose this. There may be nothing at all wrong with this L77. Conversely it may have one or more lifters about to fail, as you have assumed. But, jumping to the worst case scenario based on a couple of paragraphs, then getting all defensive and acting like you're the only person who knows **** is just egomaniacial.
As I said if you dissagree thats fine. But I'll wager the OP comes back and tells us one of his lifters is borked. Yes it's impossible to diagnose on the internet but it's the same as I see a CMP correlation code on a V6 I know it's chains like I know lifter noise on a 6.0l is a shaged roller due to skating.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It is interesting this roller follower skating fault, is it a GM problem or a general roller cam fault? I only ask as it's not a fault mentioned on the forum before and we see questions about all the common fault.