Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Morning Troubles! plz help!

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
Hey guys got a few questions 4 u all. my calais starts up easy in the morning and will idle fine, but as soon as i rev it to warm her up a bit she dies! i have to wait for ages for her to warm up in the morning and if i pull out into traffic without a lenthy warmup and sprint to keep up with the traffic where i pull onto main road she gos ok (lacking power) but as soon as a take my foot of the accelerator she dies aswell! dangerous.... any ideas what this could be?
:bang:

Also when shes cold she clunks into second badly! for ages aswell. my first thought it needed a simple band adjustment but after a while of driving it comes fine, so maybe it has a shift kit? coz when i floor her she snanps into second quite well. any sugestions ppl??

BASIC INFO:
bought car 6 mnts ago
done 212,000 klms
Stock calais
v6

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Yep...first up, clean your throttle body and the idle air control valve. That's going to be a really good place to start. Don't forget to reset your ECU when you're done with that bit. It may not make it perfect, but I'll bet it helps.

As for the auto, do a fluid change, and adjust the kickdown cable, if that doesn't work then I'd suggest that it's time to get it serviced professionally.

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
MAD! how quick waz that. Hey thanks mouse, i have vn service manual so cleaning the TB and IAC should be simple. and resting ECU is disconecting battery terminals for 30 seconds or something? is this correct?

Fluid change sounds good, spose i should do the filter and o'ring as well. If i find metal swaft in the bottom of oil pan is this indication of a needed rebuild?

Thanks Mouce

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
People can never agree on how to reset the ECU, some people don't even do it.

The way I do it, and encourage others to do it

Start the engine, let it warm up for a little bit
Stop the engine, pull out the 'engine' fuse, OR just pull off the negative battery terminal
Leave it disconnected for a minute,
Reconnect, start the engine and rev to 3000rpm for 10 seconds.

The only reason that I suggest warming the engine up first is that I don't like the idea of sitting there with a stone cold engine at 3000rpm.

If you can be bothered do the filter and the o-ring, I guess it's probably good practice to do it, the reason I say change the fluid is that it does start to degrade over time. New fluid might make all the difference. As for finding stuff in the bottom of the pan, I'd think that finding metal in there would be a bad thing, yeah. Hopefully there won't be any in there.

It could also be that your car is preggers and it's just got a bit of morning sickness :yeah: Maybe in a few months time you'll be the proud owner of an Astra :p

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
And lets hope it doesnt have her mothers bad habits. haw haw. And beyond now comtemplating wether baby Astra will need engine oil or baby oil, i now have the idea of simply swaping the v6 TB for a v8 TB, anyone know if this is bolt on or will i need to do other things before putting in a V8 TB. i wanna do this calais up coz i developed a soft spot for her interior and lightweght acceleration. the VS i used to have had alot more power ,147kw. but the light weight of the vn is calling to me. hehe.

Also with the ECU reset, does it have to be exaclty 3000rpm? does going over or under a little affect the reset?

Thanks again Mouce

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
Straight bolt up job. Not tough at all. For all that the VS might have had more power, the VN has a lot more usable power. Plus the torque curve in the VN is a lot nicer to drive with than the VS (in my opinion).

The ECU reset, just needs to be over 2000rpm...allowing for how stuffed the tacho is in most VN's, it's generally accepted that you aim for 3000rpm. So long as it's over 2000rpm you're sweet. Make it 3000rpm and you know you're safe.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
Calais3800 said:
Fluid change sounds good, spose i should do the filter and o'ring as well. If i find metal swaft in the bottom of oil pan is this indication of a needed rebuild?

also if you find glod swarf in the pan it would indicate that your auto cooler in the radiator is rotting away and you may need a new raidator or to bipass the cooler and run an after market cooler

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Yeh, I also beleive to stop it from dieing after acceleration clean the TB with some spray on TB cleaner and a rag and old toothbrush, make sure you take out the pintle of the IAC valve and give it ALL a good clean.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
Carby cleaner works a treat. You should be able to get the inside of the t/b to be all nice and shiny

Calais3800

KALAIS_KRAZY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais v6
unreal, plenty of advice here! :dance: thanks everyone for you input. Also quick question, wat about degreaser for the TB and IAC or is this to strong?

And i found an aftermarket hi performance TB for v6 vn, gives extra 5 kw, costs $220. does anyone know how much a second hand v8 TB goes for and wat power increase we'd get? weighting up my options....and does anyone sell aftermarket IAC or is this not warrented? thanks ppl......