Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Morton's blue VN Executive

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
So I couldn't get to sleep.

I got up and trawled through my collection of old VQ bits, looking for spare control arm bolts and wheel nuts to keep aside in little boxes.

MortonVN_049.jpg

I like doing that sort of thing. And in my search, I stumbled across a little stub that used to hold the gas struts on the VQ bonnet.

Five minutes later, I was rummaging through the tubs looking for the other three stubs, and soon I had them all! (and very greasy hands) :) Then I remembered that the gas struts don't clear your standard quarter panel bolts (they stick out too far), so I ran into the back yard to raid the little flat faced studs from the VQ quarter panels.

Soon, I had everything I needed XD

MortonVN_048.jpg

MortonVN_047.jpg

Gas struts <3

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Good work, Now go to sleep ^_^

Cheers
Mat

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
morton that is absolutely positively salubriously awesome, I've watched all your projects and my god my man you have inspired me....keep up the top work bloke

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Pros and Cons on gas struts.

Pros, that leave a nice open gap infront of the engine bay and easy to work from the front.
Also hold your bonnet up effortly.

Cons, It makes it very hard to work at the back of the motor there in the way alot.
also abit more time consuming to get the bonnet off.

Over all good idea i would stick with the old metal rod though.

I like the process on this VN it Brings Inspiration to us all the time and effort you have put into it,
Make me want to get off my arse and get stuck into the turbo setup lol
good luck man, and cant wait to see more pictures and alot of VIDs when its rallying around :)

Sorry for babbling on i have had a couple to less :D

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
Another good days work :)

Bz Kn33z, Taking the bonnet off with gas struts isnt too much harder, takes about 20 seconds longer really...

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Its more working on the Motor with them on, pain in the arse but they are good to have.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Eeeh I've owned both, and I really preferred the struts :) Personal preference I guess.
I can change a fuel pump with my eyes closed, but I owned a VP for two years with a metal rod and to this day I still can't find the little slot in the bonnet at night. :p lmao

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Morton

Quick question about fitting those struts to a VN. I had a VN years ago and wanted to fit the struts but there was no provision for the upper mounting on the bonnet. I thought the VP bonnet had captive nuts welded to the inner skin to take the top mounting. What was involved in fitting them to your VN?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
A length of coathanger wire ressed tightly around the end of the nut, and bent appropriately to feed through the gap in the bottom of the bonnet, right up to the empty hole :)

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
looking into the struts for the bonnet for the calais but have to sort a few other probs 1st.. What is next on your list to do on the car?