Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Morton's blue VN Executive

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Going for a trip to the wreckers today, try to source a good handbrake for it, maybe a second hand exhaust and a few other bits and pieces.

I need to tear the arse end apart this week and work out what needs fixing back there.
Box up rear control arms, box up mounting brackets on the subframe.

Oh, and rest up because I'm starting a new job on Monday ^_^ (but that's totally a secondary priority to the VN) XD

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
... and what a trip to the wreckers it was!! I was very lucky today :)

Found some immaculate upper rear trailing arms, sporting BRAND NEW Superpro bushes, a BRAND NEW Redback rear muffler section, and a clean, intact handbrake unit.

What a haul:

MortonVN_051.jpg

And well within budget, too. Prices:

$20: Rear muffler (brand new, stickers and all. Look at it!!)
$20: Both trailing arms (again, BRAND NEW!!)
$25: Handbrake

Can I please just emphasise again how PERFECT those upper trailing arms are? For $10 each?

MortonVN_052.jpg

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
very nice score indeed.. what wreckers did you find the parts at?

hahaha just some random joint down in Moorabbin I think, I hitched a ride with a mate who was chasing stuff for a Datsun 260c :p

damn you morton im after some of them :p

Ooooohhhhh well bad luck, I got the only good pair there ^_^ lmao, we got there with 10min to closing time, and I found this immaculate VP - had to throw some boot carpet down on the floor and rip all that stuff out in like 8 minutes haha, there was blood spilt from more than one knuckle :p

Got under there tonight with Morticia and ripped the rear end off the VN. It was a lot worse than I originally anticipated >_>

Check out this MAD exhaust. I don't think I need to point out the bendy muffler, the welded 2.5" section on the tailpipe OR the lack of contents in the catalytic converter. I'm pretty sure you'll work that out as soon as you see the pictures ^_^

MortonVN_053.jpg

MortonVN_054.jpg

I figured while I was already on my back with the floodlights out, we could just drop the diff and remove everything else.

So we did.

The bushes in the upper trailing arms are AMAZING:

MortonVN_055.jpg

And to be honest, the lower trailing arms aren't much better:

MortonVN_056.jpg

The lower passenger arm is in just about as good shape as the exhaust - I think I'm going to need new ones :)

MortonVN_057.jpg

And the results of tonight's small effort:

MortonVN_058.jpg

The shock absorbers were reasonable - failing the discovery of a good cheap set of Magnums, I'll throw them back in. The adjustable panhard is handy, and the nolathane bushes it came with are still mickey. Swaybar links are acceptable too.

Time to go parts hunting :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I think I may do some welding later this week if we get some nice still nights - suspension brackets require boxing :)

Morticia

I aim to misbehave
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Series 2
no updates??? i think someone is slacking off!

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Funny you should say that.

Brought a few more bits home tonight: reco lower arms, and new springs. KHRL-20HD - just low, but firmer. Perfect for ride height and stability :)

MortonVN_059.jpg

Hopefully the rear end goes back together this weekend, plus brakes and bleeding, then she should be ready for a test drive :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
And then tonight I threw it all in :) So nice to be installing new arms and new springs.

MortonVN_061.jpg

MortonVN_060.jpg

Going to fly down to the wreckers tomorrow and see if I can find some mint shockers, and maybe a good brake booster :) Nearly time for roadworthy!!!

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
You dont #### around do you :p

Good work :)