Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Morton's blue VP Executive

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Well if you're chasing a goal.. I would have thought you'd make sacrifises.. Diff gears would be your best bet too.. shorter gears = quicker launches my friend.. Change the gears and I'll guarantee you, you'll reach the goal..

lol good luck with the goal morton.. and well fu.kin done on the car repairs with troy.. he certainly is a champion in all respects!!!!!!!

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Cheers trent :) I'm still going to try and get a flat 7.0 (or very close to) before I chuck the gears in.

1) buy diff
2) buy Highway Maxx tyres
3) install Highway Maxx tyres
4) run 7.05 or less (if fail, go to step 5. if succeed, go to step 6)
5) take out more weight, repeat step 4
6) install diff
7) have speedo adjusted
8) go nuts :D

edit: expected timeframe for step 8 and repaired damage, is January :) So things should be going swell in time for summer cruising!!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
good score on the diff, dad bought home a decent welding mask today, so bring on the finishing of the repairs.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I know it's nice to be conservative when estimating how fast you will go but really if you can make that thing wheelspin all 1st gear, imagine beign able to put all that wasted horsepower to the road, in my conservative opinion you will do no worse than 6.85 with good tyres on the back as it stands right now :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
good score on the diff, dad bought home a decent welding mask today, so bring on the finishing of the repairs.

winner :D hopefully we can arrange something - maybe monday or tuesday or something? I'll have to work it around what the diff guy wants aswell :p

Ah well, we'll make it up. Looking forward to getting the car straight again :) I'll bring a hundred bucks around, and we'll see what your dad thinks about the welder eating his power bill. lol, then I may have to bring more around next time. :D (but we're good enough not to need another next time, right? We can TOTALLY do this in one day :D)

... right? :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I know it's nice to be conservative when estimating how fast you will go but really if you can make that thing wheelspin all 1st gear, imagine beign able to put all that wasted horsepower to the road, in my conservative opinion you will do no worse than 6.85 with good tyres on the back as it stands right now :)

faaaark, come on greenfoam - don't make me drool. :p 6.85? You know that's really fast... right? haha

We'll soon find out anyway :) Give that tax return another two weeks, and we'll have some results very quickly! As much as I refuse to get excited about it, I can't help but hope that you're right jase ;) Because that would just make the transformation to 3.7s insane! :D

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Any pro welder could weld that up strong in under 30 minutes and charge you 50 bucks:p

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
faaaark, come on greenfoam - don't make me drool. :p 6.85? You know that's really fast... right? haha

We'll soon find out anyway :) Give that tax return another two weeks, and we'll have some results very quickly! As much as I refuse to get excited about it, I can't help but hope that you're right jase ;) Because that would just make the transformation to 3.7s insane! :D

Well I come from my experience I know how much time wheelspin costs and I also know your car has everthing my VN ever had plus about 40kgs less weight and my VN used to make 6.9s with perfect traction, I can simulate your plastic tyres with the wheelspin I had when I drove mine on a smooth road in the rain and it used to cost me at least .4

Last edited:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Mmmm... bring on that tax return. Once the gears are in, and I review my mods to declare the power project finished (aside from heads), I'll chuck her on a dyno and compare the results to other cars of similar budget / power.

My advantage is a lot to do with weight though - and the gears once they're in. Two things that rate null on a dyno.

sofar I think I've spent roughly (not including purchase of tools, they're an asset!) $600 on purely performance.

Then perhaps sometime in summer I'll find the time to throw on some ported and polished heads ;) *glances to his table* .... yep, they're still sitting there waiting to be tested and cleaned first ^^

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Hmmm... just whipped up a quick calculation that suggests I should be doing exactly 2,300rpm at 100kph :) (assuming the torque converter is locked). That's not nearly as bad as I was expecting, really!

Can somebody double-check that for me? I'm pretty sure my math is spot on though :p

3.73 / 3.08
ans * 1900

right? :p lol