Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Most dangerous car for P platers to own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
With all the talk about the poor road behaviour of P platers across the country, it occurred to me that there are some cars out there that are very readily available, cheap and entirely unsutiable for new drivers to own.

My nomination is the VN Commodore. These cars are now really cheap. They are 20+ years old, have virtually no safety equipment, had extremely poor braking even when new, handled only fairly, and were often criticised for having too much torque off the mark, which provided them with very brisk accellereation from a standing start. Even when new, they could be a handful in the wet.

Nowadays, after 20 years on the road, most of them are worn out, yet because the engines are virtually indestructible and they have managed to avoid the tin worm pretty well, many are still for sale and their price makes them a popular choice for novice drivers.

Ok. That's my nomination. Any others, or comments? Keep in mind that I am referring specifically to P Platers and many states have restrictions on the type of vehicles they are allowed to drive, so no XR6 Turbo's or V8's please.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
No there will be no argument to that, VN's allways were and probably allways will be the most dangerous family car ever made :). At least now they stoped P platers having the 5 litres. Seen alot of them ripped in half around poles on the news over the years with the 304s sitting on the sump in the middle of the road. You would be actually far safer flogging around a LS1 in the rain than a VN V6 funny that :) the rules as allways are a bit wonky.

P.S since danger is directly related to fun, VN's are good :)

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
It used to be any turbo car, but most P-platers can't get hold of them now.

I'd put my money on any RWD with enough power to spin the tyres (so yep, VN's fit the bill nicely) and any "sports car" (like non-turbo Supras, Skylines etc) simply because they have the hero image attached to them, which seems to make some people think they should drive it like they stole it.

pugga

More Power!!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 HSV Maloo R8
Is this just going to be another thread to go around in circles with
Any car is Dangerous in the hands of a New driver, or any one in the matter no matter on age.

I had an older prick merge into my lane without indication and he didn’t even see me.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
With all the talk about the poor road behaviour of P platers across the country, it occurred to me that there are some cars out there that are very readily available, cheap and entirely unsutiable for new drivers to own.

My nomination is the VN Commodore. These cars are now really cheap. They are 20+ years old, have virtually no safety equipment, had extremely poor braking even when new, handled only fairly, and were often criticised for having too much torque off the mark, which provided them with very brisk accellereation from a standing start. Even when new, they could be a handful in the wet.

Nowadays, after 20 years on the road, most of them are worn out, yet because the engines are virtually indestructible and they have managed to avoid the tin worm pretty well, many are still for sale and their price makes them a popular choice for novice drivers.

Ok. That's my nomination. Any others, or comments? Keep in mind that I am referring specifically to P Platers and many states have restrictions on the type of vehicles they are allowed to drive, so no XR6 Turbo's or V8's please.

all cars are dangerous in the hands of a immature inexperianced p plate driver, you cant single out one particular model

benjamino

needing some more undies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 6spd + 7psi
uhm, yes, i think you can.
(not meaning to genralise, becaus a majority of old drivers are worse than pplaters)

so in the hands of a p plater, would you prefer a 355stroker vn ss,

or a daihatsu charade?

i think the choice shoudl be very clear..:thumbsup:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Is this just going to be another thread to go around in circles with
Any car is Dangerous in the hands of a New driver, or any one in the matter no matter on age.

I had an older prick merge into my lane without indication and he didn’t even see me.

Agree there, cars really can be weapons of mass destruction in the wrong hands, mix a lack of maturity or a lack of skill or lack of reflexes with lack of proper training and you have a bloody lethal mix.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
uhm, yes, i think you can.
(not meaning to genralise, becaus a majority of old drivers are worse than pplaters)

so in the hands of a p plater, would you prefer a 355stroker vn ss,

or a daihatsu charade?

i think the choice shoudl be very clear..:thumbsup:

so what your saing, is that a p plate driver in a charade wont kill himself if he hits a poll impressing his mates cuase he can do a hand brake turn, yet in a vnss he will kill himself if he does the exact same move?

ecotec_kid

Hitchhiker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
hmm... i think if i had to crash one of those two id want to be in the VN..
massive hulking piece of tank metal? or little sardine tin?

not saying it would be a good choice for a new driver, with 20 year old brakes, bugger all safety equipment and a fairly torquey motor that is quick to spin the wheels..
that's a lot to deal with whilst trying to get the hang of driving, signaling, and proper driving etiquette.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
probably more likely to crash the charade really... sure a 355 can be hell dangerous but personally i'd be driving it much more carefully than a pile of poo charade. and if you did crash a charade, you'd probably die at anything over 50km/h. there's no definitive or correct answer though. it depends on the driver (ie how much of a ******** they are) more than the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.