Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

motor burning oil

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
my v6 vr has leaking valve stem seals, ive just got sum worked heads here with new seals and a head gasket kit here.

when i travell on highway and travell at 100km/h for a while, i can smell burning oil, it disapears a few seconds lata (15secs)

would the valve stems cause this? or another issue with the motor? is it worth keeping this motor or go for another one and stick the worked heads on that?

any help appreciated, cheers

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
piston rings?

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
what oil are you using? Grade and brand. Often a good thicker oil will help immensely, however with valve stem seals leaking its a little difficult to stop. rings are a lot easier.

how many k's?

Is there external oil leaks? any chance its getting near the exhaust?

Make sure those heads dont go near any motor unless its got a fresh bottom end (just incase you were thinking that)

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
its got 215 000km on the clock, i use castrol gtx3 now (used to use magnetech to start with) the only leaks is power steering fluid i think.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
215,000k's is not alot for a Commodore, my friends got one with 650,000k's and he just put in a new motor, it depends on how you use it and servicing. Does you car feel like its lost power? Do a compression test on it.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
A commy should last well inxs of 200 000, but some are driven hard, or city driving, or dont get regular enough oil changes, so 200 is really a minimum

i agree completely- compression test to assess where you're leaking. Keep in ming hydraulic fluid has a strong petroleum/ oily smell