Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

motor for project ute

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
hey guys

ive been thinking about putting a V8 into my project ute, ive been told holden/chev V8s are a good starting point, what id like to know is which holden/chev motor would be the best one to start with, it needs to be a small block hoping for something around the 308 to 350 area build the motor myself, must be carbie as i dont want to do wiring with the possiblitly of later on supercharge or turbocharge, im not looking for ridiculous amounts of power, something i can still drive on the road as a weekend car/show car

any help greatly appreciated
thanks

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
If you're looking for carb'd power, I've heard 350 chev motors are cheap, and have ABUNDANT parts on the market both from Aus and the USA.

A holden 308 or carb'd 304 are both good starting points if you prefer the local grunt. There's a few of them around, and a decent selection of parts to suit.

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
yea i'll 2nd the above statement. the 350 chev has massive amounts of parts around, as does the local 304 carby, or you could stroke it to a 355 carby for some extra grunt... stil heaps of parts around

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks guys if was to go for some sort of forced induction would you suggest either of these motors is one better/stronger in relation to forced induction?

also gearboxes what kind of gearbox should i be looking at for this sort of motor id prefer a five speed manual but id settle for a four

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The blocks on both the Holden and Chev will go to 1000 hp and in the end if they are both strokers they both use the same parts so it doesn't make any difference. If your ute isn't a HK/T/G/Q you will be better off with the Holden motor. If you want to run a turbo you will be FAR better off keeping it injected

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Bit hard to give a definative answer without knowing what model ute its going into.....If you are going carby, then i would definately go with the Chev. No matter what anyone says, the Chev is a much better engine than the Holden V8 as you can pick up a 4 bolt block from just about anywhere and the price of parts for a Chev makes it a very cost effective option. Bang it out to 383 and away you go.

I do agree with Greenfoam though, if you are going FI down the track, go injected....If going injected then go with the Holden V8 as the injection on a Holden V8 is a good proven system.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i want a carby cos i dont wanna **** around with wiring, any way would i be better off cost wise buying a running engine and slowly redoing it or buying it all new and buildingg from scratch? some pros and cons for either?