Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Motor Oil

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
vy chrisso- black isnt such a problem. My last oil change in the VT was a black as the ace of spades.

Its the breakdown of the oil itself, loss of high temp viscosity and shear resistance that enables a lifter tap when the oil is used. My last change was 30 000k's with no lifter noise because even thought the oil was black it still had its 'body'. Althought you had to listen carefully because of the idle tensioner noise....

Yeh the Oil was cirtainly cleaning the Engine, But it was almost Charcoal Black, like Burn't?? Didn't smell too bad, just really really Black, I change my oil myself every time, and this was the first time I had changed the Nulon Synthetic stuff.... If I didn't have that spare bottle, I think I would have bought something else!!! Oh well, see how it goes, and if it starts to Rattle again, out with the Nulon!!

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Sounds like it did clean a good deal of carbon out of it. I'm betting by 3000k's you start getting that rattle back. Dont know if she will be as black this time- how do the internals look if you look inside the oil filler cap?

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like it did clean a good deal of carbon out of it. I'm betting by 3000k's you start getting that rattle back. Dont know if she will be as black this time- how do the internals look if you look inside the oil filler cap?

Mate, I've owned this car for 40,000k's now, and never does it do more than 5000, without Oil and Filter. It is clean as underneath!! I fitted Y/T Rollers 10,000k's ago, and it was like a new engine inside!! Only just hit 105,000k's.. Thinkin i will be changin that oil again early!!
Might try a 15/50 and a bit better quality..... although this oil was $50 a bottle!!

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
Price aint the be all and end all. Why do you think I'm so full on about an oil which costs half of some of those claiming to be the best in the world, but outperforms them?

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Gee, my PM lubricants oil is still Red, and only slightly started to brown at 8000k's. The 10W40 may be a lil thin, and burning at startup. I mean, i was running nulon 15W40 Diesel and it was a good cleaning oil and wasnt that borwn at 2500. It was at 5000 though. Again i have lpg so it doesnt get too dirty. Try the Nulon 15W50 full synthetic and see how that goes....Nulon is a good oil. how many k's you done ???

kave1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series 2 v8 berlina
Use the 10w 60 for the love of god....

Gday minux, the 10/60 oil you use, is it mineral based or a fully synthetic blend ? Cheers.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Gday minux, the 10/60 oil you use, is it mineral based or a fully synthetic blend ? Cheers.

Currently using the Castrol Edge, i don't think its full synthetic. I steer clear of the nulons simply because of the additives they put in.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Currently using the Castrol Edge, i don't think its full synthetic. I steer clear of the nulons simply because of the additives they put in.

INTERESTING YOU SAY THAT!!
What additives is it that you wish to stay away from??
Not to cause contradiction, just for my own knowledge.....Cheers.....:thumbsup:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Have a read of this. PTFE is one of the additives used to and possibly still do use.

Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

Whether or not it is still being used i am unsure. I refuse to take that risk.