Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Motor swap

Tim vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive S2
Hi all, new to this and still working out how to use this site! Sorry in advance!

I’ve got a vp commodore 3.8 that I’m wanting to put my Vs motor in. Replaced the whole wiring loom and all! But just noticed that the engine mounts don’t line up. Do I need to change the K frame? And any other tips you all might have? It’s something I’ve wanted to do for so long and now I’ve got the time. Cheers all!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hmmm interesting, I was told the L67 was a straight bolt in to my VR ute, when I questioned about needing a different K frame. It could just need new mounts?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
All VN-VS V6s used the same k-frame and all the Buick/Ecotec V6s use the same mounts. The supercharger will possibly foul on the VP bonnet though.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
The mounts can be difficult to align because, in part, of the splayed angle they sit under the motor. I'm not an expert (replaced 1 motor and, at a later time, put in new mounts) but get 1 set in the holes with nuts started and then lever the motor across to get the other holes aligned

Tim vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive S2
Hmmm interesting, I was told the L67 was a straight bolt in to my VR ute, when I questioned about needing a different K frame. It could just need new mounts?
Ok sounds like I need to have a much closer look. Thanks

Tim vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive S2
The mounts can be difficult to align because, in part, of the splayed angle they sit under the motor. I'm not an expert (replaced 1 motor and, at a later time, put in new mounts) but get 1 set in the holes with nuts started and then lever the motor across to get the other holes aligned
Ok thanks mate, I’ll give it a go!

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
Take the passangers side bracket and mount off the motor slide the engine in Drop the drivers side mount in and put the nuts on loose then couple a turns then drop the passangers side engine mount in the k frame and line up the rear hole first the jack the back of the motor up till the front hole lines up if you have a load leveler it's pretty easy if not jack up the trans from the mount
You don't want to be a hack job like Scott from street machine doing the engine mounts on the carnage vn and beat on them like a cave man all you do it roll the edge of the thread over and wreck a perfectly good engine mount

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I've done 2 over the years and a bugger of a job to get aligned,funnily enough the modified/reinforced mounts(for a Charity Rally) were the easiest but we had the throttle body off so we could jack the motor higher.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
my most recent experience was putting in new mounts with the engine staying in the car. That was not easy for a whole bunch of reasons.

Tim vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive S2
Take the passangers side bracket and mount off the motor slide the engine in Drop the drivers side mount in and put the nuts on loose then couple a turns then drop the passangers side engine mount in the k frame and line up the rear hole first the jack the back of the motor up till the front hole lines up if you have a load leveler it's pretty easy if not jack up the trans from the mount
You don't want to be a hack job like Scott from street machine doing the engine mounts on the carnage vn and beat on them like a cave man all you do it roll the edge of the thread over and wreck a perfectly good engine mount

Ok thanks!