Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mounting the alternator elsewhere

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by defa, Jul 18, 2006.

1. defa

defa New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    this is going to sound stupid, but i am going to ask anyway. has anyone ever mounted the alternator in a different spot. the reason i ask is because i came up with a stupid idea that may work if i could get the alternator out of the road. i want to get an old motor to pull the manifold off the see if i can get it to work. I thought if ya pulled the inlet manifold off and turned it around the other way. so there throttle body and thermostat was facing the front. does anyone reckon this is possible.

2. HATER VP

HATER VP Guest

No due to water gallerys etc

3. potshots007

potshots007 New Member

Members Ride:
    VN series II custom :) and VZ exec
    i actually thought of this as well, water galleries look like like they will line up, as they are on opposit sides, be good to find out though, as for the alternator , i wouldnt have much idea, other than you may have to change some pulleys and put adjusters and crap, good luck anyway

4. defa

defa New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    unless the v6's have a left and right head i can't see why the water gallery's wouldn't line up..

5. HATER VP

HATER VP Guest

Yes the heads are identical

6. hakhawk

hakhawk smooth moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
    yes, should bolt up the other way.

id suggest using a s2 manifold, then the thermostat will be at the back, but the hose wont be in the way like it would with s1 turned 180deg.

heres a pic of my alternator bracket. as im doing a similar project. and no, i wont say what. this is all im posting up til its done.

Attached Files:

7. HATER VP

HATER VP Guest

Thinking about it, it maybe possible. Keeping in mind there are sensors on the front. The T/B elbow could possibly be rotated and have a V8 style airbox. I wouldnt be trying it tho. quite abit of dicking around for no reason.

8. defa

defa New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    all wires and hoses can be alterered. that isn't the worry. if it will bolt stright up, which i think it would. then getting the alternator out of the road..
    i want to use the series 1 inlet, as i want the thermostat at the front. i want the throttle body at the front too. so my turbo will be sitting right next to the throttle body..

9. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ V6
    check out the american sites for this mod.
    Also the intake plenum can be turned round with some mods but they will be teadious. There was an American on another forum who has done this as well as combining the better bottom end from our VN VPs and the better heads and intake from the Ecotec.

The alternator can be fitted under the rear of the car and run off the drive shaft.

10. defa

defa New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    i don't want to go that far. mounting it on the driveshaft.. too much effort for the little result i would be getting.. i don't know how good that would be either.. wouldn't be spinning with the revs of the motor then..