Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mouse attack!

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
IMG_3917 (1).jpg

I noticed that my rear passenger seat belt wasn't extending. After yanking it quite hard it came free and I found out why. It has been unseasonably cold recently and a warm car sitting in my non insulated garage would have been a nice place for a rodent to hide. I think it has since left my car because there was nothing to eat other than seat belts.

I don't think fixing this is covered under insurance or warranty... ;)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Recently, a bloke with a Range Rover had about than $15,000 damage caused by mouses during the NSW plague. Made TV and print news.
He was happy that it would be covered by insurance. Don't know what happened after the initial reports.
Do some Goggling, you may find it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
warranty no but insurance you might be able to claim it because it is still damage, it depends on your policy.
it cant hurt to try and make the claim as all they can do is deny it

i would pull the trims off that side and inspect the wiring just incase the mouse had a pvc fetish.
there is a fair bit of wiring back there on the left.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Glad it was a belt though and not the seat itself!

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Yea my wagon has been sitting in the garage a lot lately, and I noticed rats had been crapping and pissing on my plenum cover so put out some rat pellets in the garage and on the plenum and after 2 days, no more rats.

Neighbours place is a mess so have to expect rats.

I did read a couple of weeks ago Scott Pape (The Barefoot Investor) claiming to have lost 2 cars to mice.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
warranty no but insurance you might be able to claim it because it is still damage, it depends on your policy.
it cant hurt to try and make the claim as all they can do is deny it

i would pull the trims off that side and inspect the wiring just incase the mouse had a pvc fetish.
there is a fair bit of wiring back there on the left.

The insurance assessor said they are still considering our claim because there hasn't yet been a full inspection of the damage. They said they are not obliged to cover us but since we've been with them for years and haven't claimed much they are not going to reject us out of hand.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Oh and we found the now dead rat under the wifes car. It had been chewing on the washer reservoir so there's another bill in the making.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I found a dead one in my engine bay last winter. I don't think mice like N.Z. winter's very much lol.