Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MP3 CD player head units

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Can anyone tell me about the quality of MP3 CD head units ? Does yours skip much/at all, is it quick to load tracks, and the overall sound compared to an original audio CD? Also what brand is it and how much did you pay?

They are dropping in price so much now and I'm getting ready to buy one (should be under $400 installed) and I want to see what sort of common faults to expect.

Thanks
Nial

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
I have a JVC H/U, I paid $280 installed about 4 months ago. It doesn't skip at all, it loads up as fast as any CD player. With the sound compared to an audio CD, I usually record MP3s at about 192kpbs, I can't tell the difference - but then again, I'm not an audiophile. I haven't had any problems with mine at all.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I used to be able to tell the difference really easily, 128k just didn't cut it, I've since switched to 192 and its still a touch better, but they do lose some audio quality, and its usually bass, it will be good to listen to and you probably won't be able to tell the difference, until you get the real cd and compare the two.

Mine loads up straight away basically and it has never skipped.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Where did you get that from pimpin?

And what brand is yours bextor84?

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
DJ Majah said:
Where did you get that from pimpin?

I got mine from JB Hi-Fi. This is what it looks like.

kds895lg.jpg

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I got mine from a Local car audio place about two years ago when MP3 HU were all new and top of the line. Selling second hand for around 300 still though.

CDA-7894RB.jpg

Also comes with the adjustable angle.. i.e.

cda-7894rb.gif

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Looking nice, I like the ones with the faces that move around.

I'll be getting a mid-high range unit because I want dual RCA outs with a high pass filter, so I guess Im looking around $500.

Just wondering though, do your units do anything weird? Last year I bought a personal MP3 CD player, a cheap one, but very reliable and doesnt chew batteries, but at the end of songs it cuts off about 2 seconds of the audio, then has to spin up the CD again to read the next track, sometimes it can be 10 seconds between tracks. Are yours anything like this?

I'd ask the guys who sell them, but I know I'll get a more realistic idea from real people who use them in real situations. Thanks guys.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Nah mine hasn't budged. It can be found second hand for around 300 if your lucky, and it should have more then enough options.

Off the top of my head, 3 pre-outs.. 4x60.. umm, it is only mp3 though, not wma which is a bummer, but its old.
As for bass you've got bass focus, frequency response, high pass / low pass i do believe, more then I need anyway.

W

Whitshak

Pioneer Headunit - No Problems

I purchased a Pioneer MP3 headunit about 6 months ago. From what I can remember, it's RRP was around $400 installed. I've had no problems with sound quality etc. It loads the MP3 files (any bitrate) without problem.

All I can say is in this day and age, buying a headunit without MP3/WMA support is like buying a computer with no screen ;)

Anyway, that's my 2c worth!

-Jason

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
a mate of mine had the model up from pimpin and his went alright. But it got stolen 2 nights ago f***en dickheads.

i got a cheap deck that doesn't play MP3's cause i can't afford anything else but it's alright

cheers

scott