Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MP3 through standard sound system

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
I reckon the "range" they're talking about is the actual frequency response of the D-A converter and analog section.

As Kev pointed out the coversion bitrate is what determines the upper frequency limit of the playback - higher bitrates mean nice tops, but more space.

BTW Kev - I'll get back to you on your PM. ;)

Mark - once the silly season settles down, we'll hook up again and I'll swap out your input switching board for the new revision. That'll overcome the phone muting problem.

Cheerz!

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
jus wondering if the standard deck on a VY11 has got RCA leads at the back,a mate off mine said they do im not sure n was jus wondering??

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Sorry Bud, you mate is rather mis-informed.

The factory Blaupunkt does NOT have RCA outs - well, until I get my grubby little hands on them anyway! :D

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
Thanks mate for letting me know :)
if i was to connect 6X9s in the back shelfs in a Vy how would i do that??

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
No worries!

Would you be running the 6x9s from the head unit amps, or an external amp?

The speakers will just drop straight into the parcel shelf once you pop the punch-outs from the panel. (you'll also have to remove the interior trim on the parcel shelf too) Grilles which go into the parcel shelf trim are available from Holden, but look elsewhere too - I got mine from eBay for less than half of what Holden were charging. I had to cut the holes in the trim to fit the grilles, but that wasn't too difficult.

As far as wiring, I believe there are wires run to there but I've not identified them. (my shelf speakers run amp'ed) If you are running the 6x9s off the head unit though, you'll need to disconnect the back door speakers, otherwise there will be too much load on the internal amps and they might fail.

Cheerz!

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
Thankz mate wish ya da best

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
VY Radio Problem

Just finised doing the MP3 mod on my VYII Berlina-works great and easy to do.
BUT, while I was routing the cable for the mp3 around the back of the ash tray etc I've somehow lost supply to the radio-it no longer works, no lights no nothing.
Fuse is ok. No + battery 12v supply to the connector that the radio plugs in. The Acc. + 12v is there and the ground is still there but evidently there should also be a constant + 12volts from somewhere-cant find the source for it.
HELP VY Keith.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey Keith.

Were you aware that there are actually TWO fuses associated with the constant 12V to the stereo system?? (plus ANOTHER for the accesory supply)

There's one fuse on each of constant 12V and accessory 12V in the fuse panel under the wheel, and there's another fuse mounted in the head unit itself in the connector block, which I'm pretty sure is in the constant 12V line.

Just a thort, good luck with it.

Cheerz!

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
Yes thanks Phreddy.
I've checked both of those and the're ok.
It appears to be somewhere between the connectors fixed on the back of the dash mounted frame and the supply.
I'm beginning to think I may have dislodged the wire from the back of those piddly little connectors.
Thanks
VYKeith

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
As far as MP3 quality goes... 320Kb is CD quality... looking 8-9MB for a 4 min song. Only catch is that not all MP3 players are grunty enough to play them. I know for a fact my iPod Nano can't - I re-encode them at 192-256Kb VBR which is OK, and still better quality than stock speakers or my iPod headphones can take advantage of.

Stock speakers start to crackle well before you notice distortion from the MP3's. Lucky me my VSII has the stock tape deck, with a 3.5mm "CD input" which works just perfectly for the ipod :) Crank the volume on the ipod up full, that way it is full bore from the source, and the car head unit doesn't have to do as much amp work = less distortion.