Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MSD coil packs

sno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
Hey I came across these and they are a really easy DIY mod.. plus my coil pack have never been replaced after a 100k lifetime..

Can someone whose used these MSD ignition coils tell me if they're any good?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I have used MSD coils on my Supercharged 6 for about 3-4years with no problems but I did buy them because one of my originals started misfiring (still haven't worked out which one is faulty).
I ran my son's N/A coils for about a week before I purchased the MSD's and found they worked fine but had to put them back on his car.
Only replace your coil/s if it is faulty as you won't gain any horsepower and if you do it will be a poofteenth and you will be dissapointed that you spent a whole lot of cash for nothing.
The Super 6 coils are supposed to be better than the N/A coils but again not in gaining hp but in helping keep the fire alight during extreme times which is why I bought the MSD's and besides when I bought them the price difference was only a couple of dollars each.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
Would the coil's affect the cold starting's idle of the car? i read in a magazine that when some components that are faulty (ie. might have a crack in them.) they are hard to work when the component is cold, but when they warm up they work slightly better because the filament warms up and extends ie. properly connecting? really shitting me having to aid my cold idle with my right foot :(

sno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
mate if ud had a look id started this thread like half a page down the threads list.

hmmm just noticed..

anywaz just to let you know im gonna get some msd coil packs, 8.8mm topgun leads and ngk iridium spark plugs..

tell me what u think of the combo..

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
yeh ive got 10mm tog guns and those same ngk spark plugs, slighty better acceleration and response, wouldn't mind seeing what u think of the msd coils. may be do them all at different stages so u can see if it makes a difference.

apparently the bosch super 4's are suppose to be better than the ngk's but im not sure.

cheers
ryan