Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 MSD Setup for VN 5ltr

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 n/a vl's 1 twin turbo vl vn ss vy sv8
Hey Guys, :help:

The missus and I are looking at upgrading the ignition setup in her VN 304 5LTR Calais. We have searched the internet and haven't really been able to find any information on which actual parts we will need to be able to upgrade the system.

If any one has any ideas or suggestions that would be great

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
normally you would fit a CDI box (6a -2 or 6al -2) and upgrade the coil and maybe the leads. stock dizzy is fine however a new cap and rotor can't hurt.

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
normally you would fit a CDI box (6a -2 or 6al -2) and upgrade the coil and maybe the leads. stock dizzy is fine however a new cap and rotor can't hurt.

Cheers for that! Yer we were looking at the leads and the coil we just weren't really sure on which coil we needed to get and what not. haven't really been able to find any information about it. is it a worth while upgrade??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
on a stock engine it is debatable, some people notice a better idle/smoother engine. others say it's made no difference. if you have a built engine with high CR and/or pulling lots of revs or blown/supercharged/nitrous it certainly is almost a mandatory upgrade for max performance

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Nackerz

Rollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I'm thinking of stroking it sometime soon. Been looking at all my options on what i can do to it before i actually decide on what I want to do, Nackerz is pretty much happy with the decisions that i am making for the VN so far and I kinda wanna learn along the way as well.

Now i'm not a big fan of the bosch. I would prefer to go a different brand.

but pretty much atm just coz it is just a stock engine i'm probably just better off getting some good leads to go with the new platnum plugs i've got.

I no the engine needs a new inlet manifold gasket but I'm thinking while nackerz has the engine out probably changing most of the gaskets, but on the other hand nackerz has said to me if i am looking at getting a rebuild kit for it I might be better stroking it.

Not sure

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
I blew up about 3 bosch coils in 2 years before buying a MSD Blaster SS. I've had the MSD for 4 years now, I couldn't be happier with it. I installed it on the left engine cover and extended the wiring a little bit. You could always buy a Splitfire kit with plugs, leads and air cleaner. I chased around a bit for MSD but autobarn was nearly as cheap as anywhere and you have definite warranty.
Oops nearly forgot, 304 ignition is "high energy" type, (no points to wear out) you can't really improve on the factory ignition module, just the coil, plugs and leads.

Last edited:

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
MSD is crap compared to ICE i have been fitting them to cars for a long time and they are the best money can bye, i have a full 7 amp with booster set up on my car never missed a beat, there is no point fitting a good ignition system to a stock car or on that's not going to see some big rev's, the stranded system is fine as long as its in good nick for a normal car check out there web site or call Michael to owner top bloke no's his sh#t

Welcome to ICE Ignitions