Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Msd6al ignition

The one

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp ss
To install a msd 6al digital ignition module you hook it up to the coil but do you need a tach adapter for your factory tacho to work on a vp ss 5 litre any help would be appreciated

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think so as the tach signal comes from the ignition module if I'm not mistaken.

The one

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp ss
Yeah thanks mate I don't want start hooking it up and then say s*** I need a tach adapter

The one

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp ss
Do you need to hook the tach output wire coming from the msd unit at all will your tach still work

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As far as I can see you use the 2 wire output from the ignition module (going to the original coil) to trigger the MSD and nothing else needs to be tied into the factory wiring. Just hook up the main positive and negative to the battery from the MSD and 2 wires going to the new MSD coil and that is all that needs doing from what I can remember.

Somewhere on the forum there is a wiring diagram but I have no idea where unfortunately.

msd-wiring-diagram-digital-6-plus-6al-gm-hei-7al2-7220-page-diagrams-dia.jpg

So using this wiring diagram, the white wire goes to the negative on the original coil and the small red from the positive of the original coil and it should be good to go.