Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MuckUte's VS Caprice S2

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
The console is all yours Rabbit, will let you know when I have changed them over.

In between other jobs I have been chasing squeaks and rattles that have been bugging me inside the car, mostly it's been missing screws and clips not fitted properly.

Also spent some time looking into the poor quality sound coming from the stereo, I know factory headunit what could I really expect but even for factory it was bad. Started at the back and found that the 6x9's that had been fitted were just sitting there floating around under the factory covers and the person that fitted them just hacked into the loom and disconnected the passenger side roof speaker. While I had the rear apart decided to run cables for future upgrades. Next was the fronts, underneath the fancy MB Quart grilles there were a pair of factory speakers. The rubber rim on the drivers side was toast to they got replaced with a pair of junkers from the shed. The passenger side door speaker was cutting out when the door opened, the connections behind the dash were terrible. In about 10cm of cable there were 3 "connections", one was soldered and taped one was a junk crimp connector and the third that was the junction up to the dash speaker was just twisted together and taped with another pair of crimps up by the dash speaker. Replaced the whole lot and ran the cables to make it a simple job to fit a set of splits later. With everything all screwed in properly and no more dodgy connections it's back to being acceptable rather than just plain terrible.

Also managed to squeeze a 710 change in.

Last edited:

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Nice score! shame about the poor audio wiring, good to hear it's all fixed up.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Came home to a package today,

Now to decide on a stereo :)

Last edited:

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Finaly decided on a head unit and went shopping today

Also picked up some speakers to replace the crap fronts,

Later on I plan to add an amp and sub but just being able to run my ipod and be able to hear it clearly will be awesome :yahoo:

Hope to get it all installed on saturday

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
AJ, the pictures don't show half the issues.

Rabbit, the old console is still fitted, should have it swapped over the weekend.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Well, a bit of an update.

Yesterday after getting the dash apart and finding more bodgy wiring it looks like there has been an aftermarket stereo fitted before.

Spent a while removing the crimp connectors and twitched wires from the stereo loom and started connecting the new stereo managed to get the power and one rear speaker connected before the cold and dark got the better of me (no shed). Sound quality was 100% over the factory HU even through 1 speaker, as expected.

After packing up started thinking while the interior is apart why not set it up for an amp so today came home with......

Was only going to get one amp but after finding these at JB's for $80ea (even cheaper than I could find online), one for the fronts and one for rear(sub later). Amp install kit was way cheaper than buying parts seprately, only issue with it so far is the 4Ga is about 300mm to short for what I want.

Hole in the firewall was a PITA but had a nice grommet kicking around,

Inside currently looks like...

Only had a few hours again today, managed to run power, speaker and RCA's from front to back. The plan for tomorrow will be spent connecting everything and then re-assembling the interior.