Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MuckUte's VS Caprice S2

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I had those same sony rca cables in my car and the prong in the middle of one of the plugs somehow snapped in the inputs in my alpine amp. I found out when I had some work done to the sound system the other day that the middle of the plugs was hollow and it was just flimsy rolled copper. apparently the cables where bad quality or something it was causing a lot of noise. I had them replaced when I had my amps professionally mounted on boards and trimmed to match because I couldn't be bothered doing it myself and the sound quality is so much better now.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Thanks for the heads up iChris, will check them out properly.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8

Most of the dash is back together, the dash is definitely not designed for an aftermarket stereo. It was quite a mission fitting all of the wiring in.
Heaps of busted clips and missing screws to sort out. Looks like the dash has been apart many times before. Hopefully I've sorted out most of the rattles that were there before.
The Steering wheel controls work well with the CAT only problem is that when it is connected there is some noise coming through the system, it is present when the engine is not running making me think it is a ground loop issue but it gets worse once the engine is started but doesn't change with engine RPM's.
Still have to mount the amps properly and get some dynamat in the doors and around the boot and parcel shelf.

Tried fixing the fuel gauge while everything was apart, the voltage reg look good but touched up the solder joints anyway, put some lube on the pivot but it still sticks so I am on the lookout for a new gauge.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I just give my fuel gauge the ol' commodore love tap. It is very tight back there. my deck still sticks out a few mm too far for my liking.

how much do you plan to spend on dynamat? I've been contemplating getting it done myself but I'm still unsure of the gains or if it's worth it with the sound system I'm running.

did you end up upgrading the speakers/roof speakers too?

whats the deets on what you've got packing in your stereo now?

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
I think the problem with the fuel gauge now is a small wear mark in the plastic arm that the bi-metallic arm pushes on, I tried to polish it out but obviously didn't get it sorted. May have another crack at it before giving up.

Current audio specs are,
Source - Clarion CZ702A
Amps - KS-AX3104
Front - Pioneer TS-A1604C Splits
Rear - Kenwood KFC-M6932A 6x9

I just disconnected the roof speakers. Have the head unit running in 3-way mode which gives full crossover control of all 3 pairs of speakers (Highs, mids and lows).
Plan to use the Dynamat along with some sikaflex and foam to eliminate the rattles in the boot, parcel shelf and doors. Not sure how much Dynamat at this stage but I will most likely just get a bulk pack.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Changed the airbag and steering wheel controls tonight, looks better now.

BEFORE

AFTER

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Few more jobs out of the way over the weekend,

New radiator fitted, not sure how it will go as it is a cheap ally core/plastic tank job with quite a thin core compared to the old copper/brass unit it replaced. Also replaced the thermostat. Had to chip the old seal out of the cover as it was rock hard and had been glued in. The heater tap was also leaking and was replaced. Now no more green puddles in the driveway.

Replaced the engine earths and the charge wire from the alternator and cleaned up the mounting points on the engine and body.

Fixed the water leak in the boot, turned out to be the seals around the mounting holes for the garnish.

Rabbit, console is ready to go sent you a PM

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
I'm starting to wonder about the mechanic that the PO was sending the car to.

Fuel filter was replaced 20K k's ago, rubber hoses perished and leaking when I picked it up.
Radiator re-cored 30K k's and now leaking.
Water pump replaced at the same time is also leaking.
Most hose clamps on fuel, trans and power steer lines tightened to the point they have cut badly into hoses.

So my jobs for this weekend are to sort the leaking water pump gasket, replace strut tops and engine mounts.