Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Muffler delete

Discussion in 'VY Holden Commodore (2002 - 2004)' started by evBenji, Aug 31, 2017.

1. evBenji

evBenji Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY Commodore
    My exhaust shop said they can delete my rear muffler for $120 "exhausts plus salisbury"

doesnt sound too bad

thatll give me a bit of growl on my v6 yea?

2. gossie

gossie Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE International 3.6L
    And I guess you should then have growling neighbors as well and you needing to wear earplugs so the droning does perhaps not get into your brain.

3. evBenji

evBenji Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY Commodore
    1 muffler delete aint gonna bother neighbours

I already think of them first

Only adds a bit of growl on the throttle

4. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    $120 for 1 foot of piping sounds steep....for bit more can find 2.5" catback exhausts some of which come with rear pipe instead of resonator.

Daily v6 ute was still quiet with just centre muffler...if it were loud I'd have hated it not being a v8 haha

5. HSVBMW

HSVBMW Member

Members Ride:
    vh vn vt
    5108,my hood too.

6. someguy360

someguy360 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    94' VR 304 - 05' Navara - 17' Focus - 12' Sorento
  7. French Fred 4777

French Fred 4777 New Member

Members Ride:
    2007 VE Omega V6 Auto
    Hey guys, I'm new to the JustCommodores Forum. On the subject of removing a rear muffler... I have a 2007 VE Commodore Omega V6 Auto. If I was to keep the original Resonator & Cat Converter in the centre section of the exhaust system but only removed the rear muffler, is that a legal issue in Queensland? I cannot find any exact info on this on any of the QLD Govt. / Transport websites.

8. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I am pretty sure you will find with a VE that if it came with a resonator it will need to have one to stay legal. But having said that plenty of folks remove it and if it aint noisy or droney, likelihood of getting booked is slim. Why would you remove it anyway? It's unlikely to increase your HP by anything noticable.

9. French Fred 4777

Members Ride:
    2007 VE Omega V6 Auto
    Thanks losh1971. I am keeping the resonator. I am looking at only removing the rear muffler. It's purely to get a bit more sound / noise. Do you know if it's still legal to have a full standard exhaust system, minus only the rear muffler?

10. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Oh I misread the question, just re-read it. I suggest you post your question in the VE forum, as being a VE it might have other complications than just legal issues.

11. French Fred 4777

Members Ride:
    2007 VE Omega V6 Auto
    Okay, will do. Thanks losh1971

12. malmensa

malmensa Member

Members Ride:
    VY V6 Wagon
    Why?

Won't make the car any faster, it will just develop a horrible drone, and attract the attention of cops.

13. gossie

gossie Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE International 3.6L
    And will not be legal.

14. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Did you find this below on the Qld Motor Transport site for minor modifications ?
    (PS. I am not a lawyer, so if you get done, don't blame me)

Exhaust systems Exhaust system components such as manifolds, mufflers, and catalytic converters may be modified without specific approval provided they meet the following conditions: • Exhaust headers (extractors) may be fitted to any motor vehicle, provided:
    – they do not foul any part of the steering, suspension, brake or fuel systems – all fittings for emission control equipment (E.G.R. valve, oxygen sensor, pipes and so on) are incorporated to ensure the vehicle maintains compliance with Australian Design Rules (ADRs) for vehicle emissions – exhaust systems continue to comply with relevant legislation or ADRs for vehicle noise – they bear the correct markings as specified by the ADRs, for example, a trademark or name of the component manufacturer. • Silencing devices and emission control devices, such as mufflers and catalytic converters, may be replaced, provided: – they do not foul any part of the steering, suspension, brake or fuel systems – they bear the correct markings as specified by the ADRs, for example, a trademark or name of the component manufacturer.

Minor Modifications – VSI G19.11
    - 2 –
    • Exhaust systems must continue to comply with relevant legislation or ADRs for vehicle noise. • The exhaust outlet must extend at least 40mm beyond the furthermost outboard or rearmost joint of the floor pan that is not continuously welded or permanently sealed, and which could permit direct access of exhaust gases to the passenger compartment, but not beyond the perimeter of the vehicle when viewed in plan. • The exhaust outlet, if to the side of the vehicle, must discharge to the right-hand side of the vehicle and horizontally or at an angle of not more than 45 degrees below the horizontal. • The exhaust outlet, if to the rear of the vehicle, must discharge horizontally or at an angle of not greater than 45 degrees below the horizontal. • All exhaust and muffler systems must be free of any leaks or mechanical faults and should be adequately supported. • All replacement silencing components , such as mufflers and exhaust manifolds, must comply with either the information specified on the vehicle’s original external noise level label, the ADRs (full testing and new labelling required) or the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010, whichever is applicable to the vehicle’s date of manufacture.