Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Multicolour Footwell LED Install

Helmo645

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multicolour Footwell LED Install

Things Needed:
RGB LED Strip (Simply type rgb led straight into ebay and buy as much as you think necessary, can cut it every 10cm so if got 1 m could seperate potentially into 10 10cm portions or 2x50cm etc..)
Music Infrared Remote Controller (Again type this directly into ebay, should be a box type item with speaker grill looking bit and a remote included)
Various colours and lengths of cable (Just get from Jaycar or wherever..)
Soldering iron + Solder

What to do:
1. Suss out placements of your LED strips and then measure up how much you need for them.
2. Cut along the very apparent line thats every 10cm or so at the desired amount of strip you want..
3. Scrape back the plastic around where you cut (again shows where to do as there is a image over the top of it), you will now see 4 terminals which should have also said what all terminals were for (+ive, red, green or blue). Solder on appropriate coloured wires to appropriate terminals)
4. Do this process for as many led strips as you want.
5. Mount controller box somewhere that the remote will be able to work with it easily, I simply screwed mine up top of the footwell.
6. Run the cables you just made from the LED strips into the appropriately labled connections of the controler.
7. Simply run a cable from the + of the controller to any positive cable in the car, simply splice in or if you want run through firewall to positive of battery, ground the negative part to some steel in the footwell..
8. Test.. who knows you may have soldered colours up wrong and in one footwell have blue while the other has red.
9. Enjoy your new footwells that you can change colours instantly or get to strobe with the music, fade etc

Will be updated with pics when I take some :p

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
My CV8-R actually has green footwell lights - I should take some pics as they are a factory fitted unit as far as I can tell.

Rob_VT

Smacked Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vt exec, 2003 v2 monaro cv8
@mpower, I have a CV8 which has the factory green footwell lighting, do you know what globe type these are of the top of your head?
I tried searching, and can only seem to find people without the factory illum putting leds in..
I dont really want to climb under there to check haha cheers mate.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'd have to look, I've never had to change them.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
My VX Berlina had standard T10 lights (Same as above the number plate, below the gear selector and I believe the park lights) with a green condom in the footwell, so yours might be the same. I replaced them with superbright white LEDs, made a huge difference

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I installed Ultra violet Led's in the foot wells and centre console and red ones just inside each door.
They come on when the doors are opened and are individually switched. So they can be turned on/off any time.
The centre console Led's can also come on automatically with the head lights.
It has a great effect, especially when people are wearing white and UV sensitive colours.....

Nighttime_dash20.jpg

P4100014.jpg

Last edited:

Rmaccas79

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore series 2
Nut Kracker, how did you install you footwell led's different way then instructed above?
and how do you control the on off ?
can you change colours ?

oh and Nut Kracker i love the interior the blue look good.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Thanks mate.
No, I can't change colour, they are ALL Ultra Violet leds.

The foot-well lights are wired to the dome light via a separate on/off switch mounted on the dash, or where ever you want to put it.
I did do a diagram some where but I can't find it.
Remember, the interior lights are earth switched. So you can either use the + and - from the dome light,
or just use the switched earth from the dome and find a constant positive from some where and run it through a separate switch.
Just pick up the two wires after the dome switch. (Between the switch and the existing globe)

I purposely didn't wire them to the door switch, because I wanted them to act the same way as the dome. To be able to switch on and off with the dome switch.
And with the separate switch wired in, be able to isolate them from the dome as well.

I just used UV block mounted leds.(see picture below) They are compact and easy to mount as the don't take up much room.

UV leds aren't easy to find in Australia. Good ones any way.
I get all my leds from a place called Oznium. They only sell leds.....LEDs - flexible LED strips, LED modules, 12v LEDs They are in the USA, but don't let that put you off.
They offer a huge amount of different leds including the flashy on off ones. There before and after sales support is also excellent.

Last edited:

Madz15

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive VL Executive
Thanks mate.
No, I can't change colour, they are ALL Ultra Violet leds.

The foot-well lights are wired to the dome light via a separate on/off switch mounted on the dash, or where ever you want to put it.
I did do a diagram some where but I can't find it.
Remember, the interior lights are earth switched. So you can either use the + and - from the dome light,
or just use the switched earth from the dome and find a constant positive from some where and run it through a separate switch.
Just pick up the two wires after the dome switch. (Between the switch and the existing globe)

I purposely didn't wire them to the door switch, because I wanted them to act the same way as the dome. To be able to switch on and off with the dome switch.
And with the separate switch wired in, be able to isolate them from the dome as well.

I just used UV block mounted leds.(see picture below) They are compact and easy to mount as the don't take up much room.

UV leds aren't easy to find in Australia. Good ones any way.
I get all my leds from a place called Oznium. They only sell leds.....LEDs - flexible LED strips, LED modules, 12v LEDs They are in the USA, but don't let that put you off.
They offer a huge amount of different leds including the flashy on off ones. There before and after sales support is also excellent.

Hi Nut Kracker,
I have a VX sedan and i was just wondering what is the best way to wire led up to the dome light? I have 2 led strips that i would like to put in my front foot wells.
Thanks

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hi Nut Kracker,
I have a VX sedan and i was just wondering what is the best way to wire led up to the dome light? I have 2 led strips that i would like to put in my front foot wells.
Thanks
Probably the easiest way, is to connect them to the ignition key ring light.
It's close to where you want to put them and it comes on with the dome light.