Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Muscle cars... vroom vroom

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
Modern V8 cars can be modern muscle but I don't think they have that same appeal as the 60's stuff.

That's what I was thinking and hoping as I want to build my VT Clubby in to a modern 'muscle car' but it'll never have the charm or character of 60's-70's era car.

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
What defines 'big block' and 'small block' by the way? a 454 is a big block and 308 is a small block right? that's the best of my knowledge about block sizes.

AND... what cars do you find Mopar engines in?

A big block engine is physically larger and heavier than a small block. Small blocks are generally limited to around 450ci in capacity, although some have pushed beyond that, about 509ci is the biggest I've heard of. Big blocks can be pushed well over 600ci.

Mopar = Chrysler and its subsidiaries.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
The closest Ive seen to a modern muscle car on these forums would be VRSenator065 Senator http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs/215828-vr-senator-lsx454.html

have to disagree, i've always seen muscle cars as big hulking brutes or i guess little hulking brutes, the VS-VR range really doesn't fit the bill, yes VRSenator065's car has a big block in it, but the overall shape and feel of the car doesn't impact the same way, The new challenger, camaro and Mustang all come to mind with modern muscle, i'd even maybe say the VE (VF is a bit to euro styled to be muscle)

But agree with most of what has been said on here, 60-70's cars with a few from after that (Buick GNX comes to mind) I think it's a lot more to do with the styling rather than just car and big v8.

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Point of order: The LSX454 is a small block. ;)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
lol Ok lets put it this way...Muscle Car was an era, kinda the same as no matter how old your car gets it will never be vintage veteran.
If I was to comment on what denotes the basic muscle car look for me it would be something like:
V8 doesn't really matter on size..but must sound right, good bass rumble with a nice cammy note
clean stock body lines, debaged...no spoilers skirts ect but maybe metal cooling flutes on guards/hood
widest wheels all round rims must have big dish... oh and now tacky chic and the mainstay of 4X4..... raised white lettering :D
sparse interior with only the basic's
Meh when all said and done Im kinda partial to the Latina lowrider look :) that's one look that can be applied to basically anything ;)

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
...unless the kit is factory, of course.
Plymouth_Road_Runner_Superbird.jpg

(Useless fact: The wing didn't have to be that tall for aerodynamic reasons, it was so the boot could still be fully opened.)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Actually to me thats the equivalent of putting an A group or C group spoiler kit on, whilst in the muscle car era it kinda missus the mark to me, plus its so ugly only its mother could love it :)

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
lol Ok lets put it this way...Muscle Car was an era, kinda the same as no matter how old your car gets it will never be vintage veteran.
If I was to comment on what denotes the basic muscle car look for me it would be something like:
V8 doesn't really matter on size..but must sound right, good bass rumble with a nice cammy note
clean stock body lines, debaged...no spoilers skirts ect but maybe metal cooling flutes on guards/hood
widest wheels all round rims must have big dish... oh and now tacky chic and the mainstay of 4X4..... raised white lettering :D
sparse interior with only the basic's
Meh when all said and done Im kinda partial to the Latina lowrider look :) that's one look that can be applied to basically anything ;)

I Don't see what being debadged has to do with being a Muscle car, charges have badges and they're easily one of the most "muscle" cars out there.