Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 06 VZ Thunder

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
2006 VZ Thunder Ute - Holden
Date of Purchase: 20/12/2018
Kilometres:147,000
Price: 6,000

Hi guys, i just wanted to post about my ute and give updates when i can concerning modifications and changing the ute to what i like.

though i do not think many will see this or care i just thought i would do it because it interests me and to be social on this site that i may get more knowledge and information on cars in general as well.

IMG_20190302_201448_446.jpg
The Ute unfortunately did not come with a hard lid so i had to search for one (which i found and am waiting on some pieces to fit it on)

IMG_20190302_201611_745.jpg
The Engine Bay looks pretty clean, me and a friend (who drives a Lotus Elise 2005 and a 2010 XR5 turbo which are great cars) fitted a K&N cold air intake which looks stealthy and slick.
and it has a strut bar i think which i do not think this models gets out of the factory

IMG_20190302_201724_833.jpg
i have an exhaust cat back system from which i have not fitted as of yet ( though i will with my friend hopefully next week)

i have also upgraded the shocks and struts to Monroe gt sport
and have some kings springs as well
(upload photos with information tomorrow)

that is it for today, will be posting the rest tomorrow and the slow updating shall begin. hopefully some can embark and posts input on this journey with me

Zachariah

Last edited:

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
so as i said i will post more photo's of what i did not yesterday,
IMG_20190303_090008_135.JPG

these were on my Ute when i replaced them these were:
King Springs: SSL (front) and SL (rear)
GT Monroe shocks for rear

they are all in working order if anyone is interested

what i replaced them with is:

King Springs: KHRL 127 (rear) KHFL 46 (front) think these are the correct specifications
which they are still "lowered"
and i got Monroe GT shocks and struts

IMG_20190303_095507_386u.jpg

looking at these when you go under actually looks pretty good, and works fantastic as well.

Last edited:

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
and now my hard lid and exhaust!

IMG_20190303_090128_953f.jpg

this is a 2.5 Redback cat back exhaust system, costed me around 1000 plus tax, hoping this will give my Ute a bit more of a nice growl (which the CAI actually gave some grunt as well)
hopefully not way too loud though because i would rather it sound good then be really loud.
also i hope there will not be so much drone either because no one wants to deal with that!
will post pictures when it is installed

IMG_20190303_090100_326wf.jpg

This the twin hump genuine Holden hard lid. as i said previously i am awaiting the rest of the pieces in order to install it.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Nice, welcome, utes tend to amplify the sound more ( that big space behind the cab) , hard lid makes it worse.
Having said that should be ok with only a cat back , will be louder with extractors and high flow cats.
Manual/Auto?

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the welcome, i saw a guy with the same ute as mine as well as a p plater. his ute was so loud but it did not sound good at all. i just simply want it to sound good. does not have to be crazy loud. but just a bit of a deep grunt. unfortunately it is an auto. could not find a manual that could come close to this in price and kilometres. unless i had 6k more and sacrifice another 50,000 kms

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
i am coming up with a list of things to change on my ride. still in progress

- Big brake kit (or at least performance brake pads)
- Performance rotors (slotted or drilled)
- Genuine Holden SS VZ flute indicators
- Genuine Holden pod gauges
- sports pedals
- Angel halo Headlights

and will be doing some engine modifications eventually as well. a rough draft for now and some i might not even do but these are what i might like to do sometime in the future.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just a small update, i recently got my new locks and keys to my hard lid and new door handles that are satin chrome which is a nice finish (originally mine was black), sometimes the small things can make a difference in terms of looks i guess.

IMG_20190313_181218_454e.JPG

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
i forgot to show you people what the inside looks like (not that many would probably be interested) the seat covers are awesome and good quality, got it to keep the seats in good condition from which they are, i got mats to keep the floor in good condition and clean. i put the door handles on (is it possible to kinda like opening car doors?) because it is much better then the black plastic handles. she was a pretty clean ride when i got her. i am going to try and keep it that way.

ou86fiyg8.jpg

yyuvivbvuvuvjvjvtcvk.jpg

o76cych hr.jpg

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
very "low" Ks so nice buy, remember to change the oil regularly and check it weekly to prevent the dreaded sludge

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey JoshlikesCalais, thanks for the information. yeah this car was in great condition when i got it and has had no problem since other then one small thing. how often should i change the oil? do you know which oil would be best to buy for it?