Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 06 VZ Thunder

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
Hey guys!, on Friday i was able to place on my hard lid for the first time, which was awesome. unfortunately the hinge pins i needed from the guy i got the hard lid has not come in even though it was sent "twice". so i had to get creative.

IMG_20190405_180526_270.jpg

it looks a lot better with it on, it has the "complete" look rather then a ute with out the hard lid.

IMG_20190405_180629_698.JPG

Essentially what i used as a substitute was i pin that was meant for something else that was long enough to place a small lock nut on and put in a decent amount of "locktite" glue (basically super glue on steroids designed for threading which in this case works)

now the problem with this setup is that if the glue was to harden in the wrong spots it would make it harder to open the hard lid or just ruin what glue is there making it loose. how ever i have tested this setup by aggressive driving and going past speed bumps and fast speeds to see if it will hold, and it is going well so far. but i will keep my eye on it.

IMG_20190405_181142_824.jpg

in the extreme case i could weld it. but would be problematic to get the hard lid off, maybe a steel fabricator could help. i have tried the wreckers near me, Holden dealerships, Gumtree, Ebay, and three hard lid companies including the one that originally made genuine Holden Hard lids with out much luck i am afraid. pretty tough to find the correct hinge pins, but i shall still keep my eyes and ears out for some.

i have not placed in the struts or my new key set for the hard lid as of yet so you have to manually open and hold it open to access the tray. but i shall change it when i have the time and the tools needed.

i shall keep and eye on everything and make sure it is safe. (which it seems so far, i mean it has not moved even with aggressive driving)

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
lol no.

When I say old stomping ground, I mean oooooooooold stomping ground.....long before you would have been a glint in your father's eye.