Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 1985 VK Commodore

93BRCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Executive
Hey there,

Thought I'd post up my VK Commodore, purchased for $2,000 off an old bloke who had owned it since 1989. At the moment it's just a stock Black carby 202 with a 3spd auto, going to try get my hands on a 308 and a manual gearbox! The body is pretty straight for it's age and hardly any rust. Anyway here she is :)

2014-01-07 15.04.48.jpg2014-01-07 15.04.59.jpg2014-01-08 23.01.42.jpg2014-01-13 18.21.17.jpg2014-01-14 14.34.35.jpg2014-01-27 13.48.04.jpg

Project_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
G'day mate welcome to the forum. Firsty i'll have to say I really like your VK. Everyone has their own taste but you've been granted an extremely clean, factory stock old girl.

Not sure where you're located but here in Melbourne a stock old car turns 10x more heads than a 'hotted up' alternative. Look at the little things for example you have GMH headlight protectors, what looks to be factory/aunger weather shields (both sides!), GMH mudflaps, roof racks and rare as hell original executive hubcaps. Would you consider leaving it completely stock with matching engine numbers? I know when you're younger you want big rims and subwoofers and gauges and **** but mate that's a real gem you have there possibly better left alone and preserved!

Do you have the original radio? Imagine this with factory dealer stickers, black rear/side blinds, re painted hubcaps and a grampa visor mmmm.

Anyway that's my 2 cents, throw some more photos up mate and congrats on the great find!

93BRCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Executive
G'day mate welcome to the forum. Firsty i'll have to say I really like your VK. Everyone has their own taste but you've been granted an extremely clean, factory stock old girl.

Not sure where you're located but here in Melbourne a stock old car turns 10x more heads than a 'hotted up' alternative. Look at the little things for example you have GMH headlight protectors, what looks to be factory/aunger weather shields (both sides!), GMH mudflaps, roof racks and rare as hell original executive hubcaps. Would you consider leaving it completely stock with matching engine numbers? I know when you're younger you want big rims and subwoofers and gauges and **** but mate that's a real gem you have there possibly better left alone and preserved!

Do you have the original radio? Imagine this with factory dealer stickers, black rear/side blinds, re painted hubcaps and a grampa visor mmmm.

Anyway that's my 2 cents, throw some more photos up mate and congrats on the great find!

Hey mate cheers for the feedback!

I was considering leaving it stock standard but most of the parts like the hubcaps/lens covers are actually cracked/broken on parts and it just looks tacky. Had to remove the mudflaps on it because the front wheels were scrubbing on the bracket from it so I couldn't go full lock :p Plus the wider wheels grip so much better than the stock narrow ones haha. It had an aftermarket radio in it which I replaced with another one I had laying around at home.

Young gun

Dream BIG!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 vb
My 2 cents. Have fun and don't care what other say. Modified all the way, have u thought about a 304/manual convertion?

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Cheers mate, I'm trying to get my hands on a 308 for it!

The 308 is a waste of time compared to the 304. for the price of them you may aswell go the injected engine for reliability sake or get a carby to dump on it as then you have the better flowing heads anyway.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
welcome and good score mate,nice and clean and a nice straight grill

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
whilst I get where Project_87 is coming from, problem is you soon get bored with a stock standard car. A standard 202 Commodore was a good, sensible family sedan, but hardly a car that is going to feed the passion of a car enthusiast.

I agree it looks like it's in fairly good, original condition. But it's not a collectable, probably never will be, so in my opinion build the car you think you would enjoy driving. Drop a 5L into it (carb or EFI), T5 transmission, disc rear end, adjust the ride height a little for a bit of stance and a nice set of 15-17 inch period correct wheels (ie NOT ridiculous 20 inch wagon wheels...)

93BRCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Executive
whilst I get where Project_87 is coming from, problem is you soon get bored with a stock standard car. A standard 202 Commodore was a good, sensible family sedan, but hardly a car that is going to feed the passion of a car enthusiast.

I agree it looks like it's in fairly good, original condition. But it's not a collectable, probably never will be, so in my opinion build the car you think you would enjoy driving. Drop a 5L into it (carb or EFI), T5 transmission, disc rear end, adjust the ride height a little for a bit of stance and a nice set of 15-17 inch period correct wheels (ie NOT ridiculous 20 inch wagon wheels...)

Yeah it's nothing special that's another reason why it wont be staying stock standard, plus I really do find stock boring. I've got superlows in the rear and getting the fronts done soon too, the back sits nicely with these wheels nothing too stupidly low. 20's are never ever going to go on this car I can't stand them haha

93BRCK

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Executive
Quick update, got it running superlows all round, pretty much sits perfect to my taste :) Might have some new wheels coming for it shortly!

1795786_10203060586066389_331597093_n.jpg