Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 1990 VN Berlina wagon {EEC-335}

James90vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN berlina wagon
Name: Car {EEC-335} Me- James
Car : 1990 VN Berlina
Colour: Asteriod silver with new grey
Engine: VR 3.8ltr series 2
Gearbox: Rebuilt auto
Diff: Standard
Exhaust: Stock standard
Wheels: 14" original steelies with VN berlina hubcaps / 18" WM caprice series 1 wheels
Suspension: Super Low front and sedan super low rears
Interior: VN berlina
Other Mods: Nothing yet
Cost: free
Build time: 2010 till forever
Future Mods: see thread

Hey all, think its about time to post up my pride and joy this 1990 VN berlina wagon.

This thing has been in the family since just about new, purchased of reg hunt motors as an ex dealer car (used by one of the salesmen) after its first few months. I was then born a few years later and this was the first car I was in (taken home from the hospital) and ever since everywhere i have been has been in this car. Ill never get rid of it

It's been through one engine and one transmission. Its finally been repainted around 10 weeks ago after 5 smashes in its life and got lowered last week (was still running its first springs)

IMAG0731-1.jpg

IMAG0738-1.jpg

5-1_zps4b0a758a.jpg

6-1_zps019b6cf4.jpg

I had a real crap time lowering it with suppliers not delivering the right gear so will have to get the right shocks in the rear

Ill update as i go with the build

Cheers

[BERLINA]

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Berlina
Looking great, good to see another Asteroid Silver VN on the forum how many k's has the car done to do the engine????

Cheers, Bj.

James90vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN berlina wagon
yeah thanks same to you too I have commented on your car already just taking a while to go through. The original engine karked it at 255000 and now the odometer is at 330000 with this VR engine and god knows how much its done before going in my car. Its starting to show signs of getting tired but they're a tough thing.

I have the original engine sitting at home to be rebuilt and put back in one day.

Your berlina looks straight and original has it ever been resprayed? cheers

[BERLINA]

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Berlina
Yea My Berlina has been resprayed in the early 00's need to take it back to the paint and panel shop soon to catch the start of rust breaking out around the windows as VN-VP's do.....Just curious on how long the engine lasted as mine is at 203,000 at the moment and its running fine *hopefully* beacause im debating once funds allow to buy a spare engine and build a bit of stinker engine before mine calls it quits...
Cheers, Bj.

James90vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN berlina wagon
Yes the sedans seem to cop the rust bad, never ever had a problem with the wagon heres hoping for the future. By your photos yours is a series 1, if you service it every 5000km should last ages mate my rents maybe serviced the wagon 4 times in its life plus it had severe overheating problems ect. The series 2 engines are pretty good i havnt had major problems and are alot easier to service eg thermostat housing is at the front thank god. Keep up the good work yours looks mint ill be watching your build closeley, what are you planning to drop into it?

[BERLINA]

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Berlina
Yer it is an Series 1, mine had an BAD overheating problem when i got it, turned out to be the Thermostat so i bought a new housing and Thermostat and it was good as new put it this way the housing was corroded on the manifold that bad it took a whole can of WD-40 to just loosen it a fraction to start to pry it off.Just going to be another 6 prob a buick or if its cheap enough maybe a ecotec due to the laws in SA cant have a V8 etc until 25 sucks!!!!! :(

James90vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN berlina wagon
yeah they're in a pretty bad spot too to top it off. Mmmmm okay thats probably the only thing thats worse about SA than victorian laws then. Youll be able to pull some nice power out of an ecotec though i reckon it's a worthwhile conversion.

[BERLINA]

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Berlina
Yea not happy about the laws but o well cant help it i guess not completely sold on the idea of an ecotec but atleast if i get another buick i can keep the loom etc...