Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 1995 Holden VS Berlina Sedan - L67, A2A Intercooled, Plus Heaps More

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Go through the xcedy ones. I'm pretty sure I got the pink button one.

Yeah I will have to do more research on the clutch I think.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
I wouldnt put a button clutch in, they are useless unless every street you drive on is a drag strip

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
I have heard button doesnt allow slip at all. Its either moving at aquick speed or stopped.
Ill let you know which clutch it is tomorrow.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Ok, having been there before, just go with a heavy duty clutch and not a button. Honestly, I feel that you need to keep the clutch the "weak link", or you will start turning T5's into scrap metal pretty quickly. Having said that, I had a T5 behind my L67 for probably 5 years making 200rwkw and never had a drama with the box, but I had some mechanical sympathy for it (no high rev clutch dumps, burnouts etc.) and it was in a light car which was it's saving grace IMO. Also, as Immortality said, you need to have the flywheel mirror balanced to the l67 flex plate or you will run into dramas with vibrations.

Manual V6's ran dowels in the crank, but I never ran them in mine and never had a problem, but it can't hurt to have them in there. You must replace the flywheel bolts as they're torque to yield bolts.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them as I've been through all this before.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
T5's dont have flywheel dowels, its only the getrag equipped v6's that got a different crank with dowel holes in the crank.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I wouldnt put a button clutch in, they are useless unless every street you drive on is a drag strip

That's what I wanted to know, and because of this I will just use a heavy duty clutch so it is still nice to drive around town.

I have heard button doesnt allow slip at all. Its either moving at aquick speed or stopped.
Ill let you know which clutch it is tomorrow.

That's what I was told as well that it doesn't allow slip which makes it uncomfortable to drive around town or in traffic. I would rather just fit a normal clutch or heavy duty clutch and just replace it more often, but the way I plan on driving I should need to replace it too often.

Ok, having been there before, just go with a heavy duty clutch and not a button. Honestly, I feel that you need to keep the clutch the "weak link", or you will start turning T5's into scrap metal pretty quickly. Having said that, I had a T5 behind my L67 for probably 5 years making 200rwkw and never had a drama with the box, but I had some mechanical sympathy for it (no high rev clutch dumps, burnouts etc.) and it was in a light car which was it's saving grace IMO. Also, as Immortality said, you need to have the flywheel mirror balanced to the l67 flex plate or you will run into dramas with vibrations.

Manual V6's ran dowels in the crank, but I never ran them in mine and never had a problem, but it can't hurt to have them in there. You must replace the flywheel bolts as they're torque to yield bolts.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them as I've been through all this before.

Already organised to have my flywheel mirror balanced to the flex plate. They call it 'shadow balancing'. Also getting it machined as well. Last week I purchased brand new flywheel bolts from a Holden dealer and also the brass spigot. I don't like re-using bolts like that because they snap easily. Plus like you said, torque to yield. If I think of anything I need to ask I'll let you know, I'm sure something will come up along the way :)

Love this car mate. Did you have to fit the kframe spacers to clear bonnet with the a2a plate?

Thanks mate :) I've seen the work you have done to your VY Calais and I love it! I am pretty sure I even seen it at cruise for charity last year where the Sunshine meet was and it looked awesome. Yeah I had to fit the K-Frame spacers because of the A2A plate, and even then the supercharger pulley was still touching the bonnet, especially on take off when the engine twists. I ended up tapping the inner frame of the bonnet in a little bit so it didn't touch. But I plan on fitting a smaller 19 PSI (2.55") pulley soon so there shouldn't be any problems :)

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
T5's dont have flywheel dowels, its only the getrag equipped v6's that got a different crank with dowel holes in the crank.

I was thinking before that when I pulled the flywheel off the ecotec engine it didn't have any dowels, that's probably why.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

I was going to link your V6 crank thread but all the pictures have disappeared :(

Yeah, In theory the dowels are really only for alignment. It's the clamping force of the bolts that holds the flywheel to the crank, if the flywheel slips on the crank face then your relying on the shear strength of the dowels and that's not ideal at all.

A good thread for info http:// l 6 7 t o r q u e . c o m /viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10032
(take out the spaces in the link)

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8

I definitely agree. Ever tryed moving a full competition spec rally car around a tight concrete workshop?
IT SUCKS! I wouldn't wish that on anybodies street car.
(Awesome for dedicated track car though)