Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 1999 VS Series 3 Ute

Freaky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hey I just thought I'd share abit of info about my VS ute. I bought it as my first car in 2012 when I was 17, I bought it off gumtree for $1500 with some light front damage.
All I knew it came with was a set of HSV Rim's, Tinted windows & 160 Thousand k's (It was only one picture of the car) When I got there to pick it up I found out it had loads of extra stuff he had not mentioned.
I gave it to one of my dad's mates who is a panel beater and $1000 later it was all fixed up, For the Roadworthy all I had to change was the steering wheel and rear shocks so it owed me about $3000 with 4 Months Reg left so I was pretty happy with that.

I have not did any modifications to it since I got it but I had planned on doing a few so a couple weeks ago I started doing some things.
Todo List:
  • Change the interior from 3 Seater to S3 Caprice with all options (In Progress)
  • Install a 2.5" Exhaust System with Extractors (Done)
  • Do something with the front bumper
  • Cold Air Intake System
  • Color coded mirrors
  • VS Senator Seats

Here's a few details on the car:

Model: VS Series III
Year: 1999
Color: White
KMS: 175,XXX
Engine: 3.8L Ecotec
Exhaust: Standard
Transmission: Manual (Getrag 5 SP)
Suspension: Lowered Pedders (Not sure how low)
Wheels: 19" VY GTS Alloy Wheels
Interior: Standard 3 Seater
Stereo: Pioneer Head unit, Speakers, 600W Amp & Fusion Tweeters.
Other Modifications: Lockable Hardlid with Gas Struts
Future Modifications: Caprice Interior, Exhaust System, Cold Air Intake
This picture is more than a year old, I'll take some new ones soon:
tZVNIjo.png

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Nice pickup mate.

Freaky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I put in a 2.5" Redback Cat back exhaust on it, I had a High flow cat that I was going to put on but when I looked at the Y-Piece it was one piece? So to put on the new cat I would have had to chop into the pipe so I just left it.

Here are some pics of the interior, It was done but I had a level 3 cluster and trip computer with the wiring there aswell as a VR Statesman dash with the glovebox instead of the airbag so I'm going to put that in.
I seen a thread on here about how you modify your existing loom for the trip computer but I have the loom piece out of the statesman and I just dummy tested it and it seems to work fine with just a dash loom swap?
The Gearstick is abit close to the centre console so i'm probably going to have to trim a little bit on the gearstick, It won't be seen because it's covered by the booth anyway.

I might take a photo of the exhaust next time I put it up on the hoist.

Original Interior:
KkETtS3.jpg

1OrleCV.jpg

Caprice Interior:
icQkJBM.jpg

gTWc5EB.jpg

Last edited:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I thought my ute was a good deal but this is even better.

Love the dash, thinking of doing mine similar to that. Nice ute.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Looks good are u putting electric seats In? So you can put switch in the speaker pod? I have same trim but retrimed pods to cover hole