Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 1st car - VT Acclaim

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Hi all, newbie here.

I just bought my first car about 2 weeks ago and I thought I'd get it on the net. It's a 99 VTii acclaim.
2z66mg3.jpg

351fguc.jpg

2l960ps.jpg

It has a 6 stack alpine CD player in it, but it's speakers are stock so I need new ones. The stock speakers don't sound too good for loud heavy music.;)
I figured I'd mod it a bit when I get more money and time, but I really don't know much about that sort of stuff, ie - body kits, exhaust systems, extractors, lowered suspension, cool air intakes etc. I don't really want to spend a whole lot of money either because I am going to uni next year and need money to survive rather than spend it on my pride and joy. :)
Any cool suggestions will be much appreciated and all comments welcome.

Last edited:

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Thanks. :)

What sort of exhaust should I look at getting for it? Do I have to buy extractors with the exhaust system or are they something I can get later. Also, I want it to sound nice, but I don't want it to be overly loud and annoying, if you know what I mean.
Does the shape of the exhaust make a difference? Because I really like the look of oval exhausts as opposed to the round ones.

Sorry I don't know too much about this stuff, but half the reason I joined the forums was to LEARN! :)

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
firstly welcome, im sure all your questions will be answered, nice car, how much did you pick it up for?

With your exhauset, it dosnt matter wat shape it is, it will sound the same, if you want a nice note id recomend a 2.5" cat back exhaust

enjoy your stay

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Thanks mate.

In great condition (only flaws are a slight rattle with the drivers door and dusty brake pads) I got it for 7300 with 12 months rego. It also has 172,000 on it which is slightly above average, but the owner before me was a mechanic so I checked it out and the car has been VERY well maintained. New oil every 500kms and regular service every 10,000kms.
I couldn't believe how cheap I got it for because I see similar cars on websites and at dealerships go for over 10 grand!!!

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Hey thanks man. Dylan is a great name, but so many people spell it in weird and wonderful ways. I hate telling people my name when they need details and then spelling it out for them. "dillon", "dillen", "dillain" is the weirdest one I've seen.

Any comments on the prices or installation of parts?

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Thanks mate.

What springs would you guys recommend to lower the car. I read a lot about ultra lows on this website. Are they the ones you can just buy from autobarn or supercheap auto? I'd love to lower it but not so much that it would make it impractical, because my driveway is one bitch to drive a lowered car on. I'm talking I'd like to have the wheel sitting just under the cut away in the kit, but not so close that I scrape the bottom of my car all the time.

Also, would an exhaust system like in the link I posted in post No: 6 add to the Kw/performance of my car a great deal?