Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 1st car - VT Acclaim

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hey thanks man. Dylan is a great name, but so many people spell it in weird and wonderful ways. I hate telling people my name when they need details and then spelling it out for them. "dillon", "dillen", "dillain" is the weirdest one I've seen.

Any comments on the prices or installation of parts?

haha hell yeah... And do you get crap about Bob Dylan at all from old people when they know your name is spelt the same way? Happens to me with uni lecturers and stuff alot..

Thanks mate.

What springs would you guys recommend to lower the car. I read a lot about ultra lows on this website. Are they the ones you can just buy from autobarn or supercheap auto? I'd love to lower it but not so much that it would make it impractical, because my driveway is one bitch to drive a lowered car on. I'm talking I'd like to have the wheel sitting just under the cut away in the kit, but not so close that I scrape the bottom of my car all the time.

Also, would an exhaust system like in the link I posted in post No: 6 add to the Kw/performance of my car a great deal?

Get King Spring Superlows man if you want practicality. I had ultralows once... Still do in the front, but all round they are not worth the hassle. Speed bumps, driveways etc... Pain in the ass especially with people in the car. Lovells Superlows are a bit better for handling, slightly more expensive, but are harsher for the ride than the King Springs.

As for the zorst.... A cat back exhaust will make a small difference to the power output of your car, but nothing major. Maybe 5kw. I wouldnt be getting that off Ebay for that price, just go get a cat back system from an exhaust shop. Similar price fitted rather than delivered :thumbsup:

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Yea I get crap about Bob Dylan all the time. I am going to uni next year, but at work I have my name badge on it and the primary customers at Rivers are elderly people.

So a catback exhaust will be similarly priced from a shop and fitted, rather than buying off ebay and trying to get someone to fit it. Awesome.
Will adding extractors to the car later add more Kw in conjunction with the exhaust?

Also, how much wil king spring superlows cost and around how much should it cost to fit them?

Cheers. :)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Extractors will earn you decent power. Pacemakers etc. should get you around 10% more power at peak. Though its often debatable.

King Springs.. $160 for a pair for the rear fitted is what I paid. As for the front its slightly more expensive as it involves more labour. You will also need shortened shocks for the rear, but the fronts fine. All up maybe $550 or so including labour, just ring around and find the best price :D

An idea on a cat back sports exhaust... Here in Adelaide theres a few places that do em for $250 fitted but without a chrome tip... Chrome tip is another $80 or something. You'll probably pay a tad more where you are, but $350-$400 is a decent price range with a tip.

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
So I guess I'm looking at paying around 950 dollars to get it lowered nicely and get a nice exhaust. That sounds reasonable. :D

Then it'll look a lot nicer and sound a lot nicer.

Next topic...around how much will it cost to paint a body kit, and around how much does it usually cost to get a whole car repainted?

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Any other ideas or comments guys?

Suggestions for Air Filters. K&N maybe? How much will it cost to install them and how much for something like that just by itself? Will it do much for my performance/fuel economy?

:) Keep the comments rollin' :)

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
Nice first car dude... Go the series 2 VT's as first cars!!
Thats the same colour as mine... I think, hard to tell from the pics...
Considered takin the spoiler off?

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
I haven't really considered taking the spoiler off. I think no spoiler suits Berlinas and Calais a lot, but not so much an Acclaim. I always wanted to have a spoiler on a commodore when I bought one, and I was fortunate enough to find this one with a spoiler and mags on it already.
I would really like to put a body kit on it but it will probably have to wait a while (after a few performance/audio upgrades) because they cost a lot of money to buy and have painted. :(

Like I said, the main things I want to concentrate on are new speakers, an exhaust system, lowering it and air filters. After that, it should be a lot cooler, and then I can concentrate a lot on the cosmetic aspect. :)

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Sounds good. I'm not really after a hell of a lot more power. If I was I'd buy extractors before anything else. I just want it to perform a little better with a bit more headroom y'know.

I can't wait to have it all start coming together. :)

Dylan VT

Metal forever
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore acclaim
Another thing...around how much do you guys reckon new brake pads would cost. Mine are dusty and squeaky and have been for a while I guess, and I don't want to let them wear down so much that the actual brakes start to get damaged.
Are new pads a quick and easy job?