Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2002 VY SV8!

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Man that engine bay is so tidy! I love it.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Sweet ride man. Mine had a little lifter noise, I still use the nulon 10W-40 but add liquid moly tappet treatment on change. Takes a couple hundred kms but it shut them up nicely.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Well from that info, you'd be doing 2250rpm @ 110 instead of 2000rpm.
Autos are high reving jeez - my manual with 3.9's does like 1600rpm
They are a bit high with revving.
If you still have your 3.46:1 diff by April I'll buy it, that's the next time I'm driving to Melbourne :)

3.46 will barely make any difference to fuel economy,usually improves it a tad easier takeoffs etc unless complete leadfoot.
We went 3.7 on brother's vs maloo 5litre..economy actually improved lol
Ls bit sluggish down low & do like to rev so gears help wake them up.
Lol old m6 vy ss ute would creap into 7ltr/100 on cold nights in 6th gear
I've been told more and more by mates that have had auto LS1's that 3.46:1 gears are better for economy!
This is the second LS1 I've driven before, the other one was a pig with a button clutch, not a fan to drive it daily.

Economy wise this gets aronud 8.5L/100km on the highway and between 10.5-12.5L/100km with normal driving to and from work :)

Man that engine bay is so tidy! I love it.
Thanks man! I hope it inspires someone at least.

Sweet ride man. Mine had a little lifter noise, I still use the nulon 10W-40 but add liquid moly tappet treatment on change. Takes a couple hundred kms but it shut them up nicely.
Cheers for the advice, it's currently running Nulon 10W40 so I'll use it again with the Liqui Moly stuff next service and see how it goes :)

Last edited:

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Over the last couple of weekends I have been servicing it, just taking it slowly as I haven't worked on the LS1 platform before.
Oil change was easy enough, used Nulon 10W40 again with a GM filter, replaced the fuel filter with a GM one as well, cleaned the air intake panel filter with the K&N spray and changed the spark plugs today.
Only picture I took was of the spark plugs when I removed them, they are NGK PZT5RA plugs which are about 70,000KM old.
They were replaced with AC Delco 41-805 plugs.

5mcxj3E.jpg

Last edited:

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Small update.
Bought two new Kumho KU27 tires for the rear as they were not legal. Tread wear rating of 600 means they should last a while, not as much grip as the KU22's on the front.
Over the Easter long weekend I made a trip from Adelaide to Warrnambool Thursday the 13th, a few small towns in Vic then Melbourne and back to Adelaide on my Birthday the 17th.
On they way back I managed to make it all the way from my sisters house in the north all the way home and to work the next day, average economy was 8.9L/100km with frequent overtaking.

Going to do another engine service next weekend along with the transmission as well as it is overdue.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
8.9L is impressive.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Today I was bored and thought it wouldn't be a bad idea doing a power steering fluid flush.
The pump has been a bit noisy at full lock and getting a little heavy.

I flushed through about 3L and took the car for a drive, steering is lighter and no more noise at full lock!
SHAZ4ju.jpg

Last edited:

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
As for this weekend, I changed the engine oil and filter. Nulon was on special and I still had 1L left over from the last service so I just used that.

The snake oil was on special as well, I've read people have used it and gotten good results so I may as well give it a go. The genuine filters are cheaper than aftermarket too.

oGyXlPT.jpg

oGyXlPT

Last edited:

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Can't see the picture, if you're over photobucket and all it's issues try imgur...

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Yeah I organized all my pictures into separate folders over the weekend and it has stuffed all my build logs.
Currently re uploading everything on Imgur, this may take a while.