Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2002 VY SV8!

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Driving home from work yesterday on Pt Wakefield road in the 80km/h zone in the far right lane to turn off at the next set of lights, a VZ wagon with a open 6x4' trailer had some bits of wood in it. A piece of wood flew out and hit my headlight.
Got the guy to pull over and he didn't really give a rats ass. Didn't apologize and he left.
I reported it to the police station as I wrote down his license plates as he drove off and they will be warning him Monday about the dangers of having loose objects in a trailer.

I'm thankful that it wasn't a bit of metal or a brick which could have been a much worse outcome.
iFqSsxH.jpg

A5aIZwr.jpg

After 2 3 passes with a heavy cut, can't see the scratches in a photo but you still can up close in person.
YeYfwQq.jpg

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
That's where dash cams come in handy, hand the footage over to the cops and he cops a fine. He may give a rats then. Lucky it hit headlight not paintwork.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
This weekend I finally serviced the transmission, my least favorite thing to service.
The car is one of the very last series 1 that was built in 10/02 but it has the series 2 stepped transmission pan and deeper engine sump so I suppose that is a score!

Some supplies for the job.
MQmDWvE.jpg

This is what the pan looked like after draining the fluid, not a very nice sight!
From my knowledge it hadn't been serviced in over 5 years so it doesn't surprise me.
9sVKVUT.jpg

That's it for now, I'll probably do the diff and bleed the brakes sometime soon and it will be all up to date!

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Long time no update.
The car has been sitting unregistered due to financial restraints so I've been driving my girlfriends AE92 Corolla.
Now that she finally has her P plates I have to register the SV8 again, so I thought I'd flush the brake fluid and bleed the system.

Nothing but the best, for the best!
6UcwdHp.jpg

Looking a bit worse for wear. don't know how old it actually is or what brand it was.
8szRJwN.jpg

Nearly the whole liter flushed through with no air in the lines. Nice!
zdj5mdq.jpg

And a nice little exhaust leak I found when I started the bleeding process. Just need to tack it and she'll be right.
N08OQFF.jpg

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Pin hole has been welded. Car is also booked in to have the diff oil changed Tuesday.
Gave the car a proper clean today. Washed, dried, hand polished (have no polishing pads for the machine) and a nice coat of Bowden's Auto Body Wax, it smells like Allen Banana lollies and works great!
12yS41f.jpg

Last edited:

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Sure is lowndes8, I didn't get around to posting on my build log.
The photo shoot was done this time last year when Callum still owned the car, I put in my fair share to help him get it ready for the magazine.When I bought the car he kept the CSESV8 plates and I got standard ones.
The boot installation is no longer in the car and is at his shop on display in the demo room :)
70029b411afebc2b74aa9192bfe5fb37.jpg

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Another update to add.

When I bought the car I wanted to add a series 2 black Calais cluster. I'm not sure if many people are familiar with GM's great ideas but they changed the fuel level sender resistance to read the opposite way- meaning when I got the cluster installed and programmed, the fuel gauge read backwards (kind of)..
I'd fill up the tank, it would go straight to empty and the fuel light would flash for a while. After using about 15-20L the gauge would quickly work its way up the the 3/4 mark and stay there for a while, then go to F with about 10L left in the tank.

After running out of fuel once and getting sick of it not working properly I bought a series 2 SS fuel pump and installed it this weekend.
It is a very straight forward and easy process which takes about 1-2 hours if you haven't done it before like me.

Tank removed, 3 straps, 4 bolts and removed the fuel filter.
ED5gK9U.jpg

Old and new pump assemblies are physically the same, besides the level sender resistance.
l5p8899.jpg

The rubber boot that is around the filler neck was already cracked, nothing zip ties can't fix.
wBrD7oZ.jpg

Full tank of 98, $100 later.. (don't tell my Mrs that)!
mGlDCgZ.jpg

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Car was due for a service and I wasn't able to do it at home because of my project car. Ignition barrel is 36 years old and just plain knackered so I couldn't move the car. Ignition barrel took 9 hours in total to remove, which included extracting 6 security screws in the steering column, upside down and on an angle.
QcQLiRt.jpg

Qn6004p.jpg

Bought some good quality drills for the job too!
ZxbsqZm.jpg

Decided to try out the Penrite 10W50 oil, the lifters are definitely more quiet with the thicker oil.
zP53YJx.jpg

While the car was on the hoist the mechanic was nice enough to let me have a look around properly under the car, then we found a *little* problem with the tailshaft center bearing..
It's completely detached from the rubber.
Because of the vibration it has led to the transmission housing seal and diff pinion seals to weep fluids. 1 problem is now 3 problems.
5vYjH5Z.jpg

The strut top mounts are pretty old and there is a distinct suspension knock, ordered some Superpro Polyelast mounts and they arrived today, mechanic will be fitting them next week some time then a wheel alignment straight after. All other bushes and ball joints are perfectly fine.
hAvT8Zs.jpg

Last but not least, I decided to fix the OTR filter cover, it had 2 stripped self tapping screws holding the cover on, so I drilled out the holes and installed 3 M4 thread rivnuts.
Much better.
5rvuiA5.jpg