Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2002 VY SV8!

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Here is the rest of the stuff I have to upload..

New braided brake lines which are ADR approved.
IMG-20210908-170548.jpg

New genuine 140A alternator.
IMG-20210911-095147.jpg

New Clubsport rotors and brake pads. I'm interested to see how dusty the DBA pads will be since I've never tried them before.
IMG-20210914-103515.jpg

The heads after reconditioning. 3 angle valve seat cut, PSI springs, valve stem seals, shaved about .030" from memory.
received-373906127652634.jpg

Another reason for delays. December last year the bottom end was removed and all the pistons had worn through the teflon coating on the skirts.
received-462719592066526.jpg

New Silvolite 3.908" pistons (.010" bigger than stock so the block had to go back to the machine shop). Also upgrading to gen 4 rods with floating wrist pins. ;)
received-1286734078461625.jpg

The extra 0 gauge earth that my mate installed before selling the car to me. The routing always annoyed me so I re routed it so it's more out of the way now.
Before:
IMG-20220126-224323.jpg

After:
IMG-20220126-225212.jpg

Extra protection for the cable by wrapping it in 5/8 heater hose and engine loom tape (after I took the photo.
IMG-20220126-225220.jpg

New to me leathery interior pieces.
IMG-20220315-181258.jpg

The perks of having a big F off sandblasting setup at work. Extractors came up brand new!
IMG-20220328-182059.jpg

After a quick coat of paint with VHT Flameproof Cast Iron Grey they look much better. I was going to ceramic coat them but didn't have 4 weeks to wait at the time of painting them myself.
IMG-20220329-221508.jpg

As for now, the plan was to get everything ready 2 weeks ago then the tab for one of the alternator brackets had broken off the block. It was cracked already so just my luck.
The block went back to the machine shop so it could get welded back on but unfortunately one of the co owners of the machine shop passed away so I have no idea when it will get fixed now

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
@skappascrap Im glad I bumped into this thread. I can easily appreciate the detail and care you’ve gone to with this car.

Thanks to this thread, I will also be checking for loose valves when it comes to getting the rocker covers off mine.

642B692D-693F-49DA-A644-051EB6C5BC87.jpeg

I didn’t miss the background of this bit.
Assuming that’s Lee’s parked in the drive there.
DF6DF298-696B-47E2-9F9C-55126343297B.jpeg

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
The valves weren't loose Fu, it was just that the stock roller needles were so worn out.
Lee's car isn't an SV8 too unfortunately, just a supercharged S pack. He does own a VYII Calais LS1 which has a Crow 212/219 cam, built transmission and 3.9:1 diff gears.

The block is back now so that's a bonus, I guess? It hasn't been reassembled yet though.

We had a family trip to Melbourne for the Easter break and of course with my bad luck, I had symptoms of appendicitis on the way home on Monday the 18th. I went to hospital on the Tuesday and left Friday appendix free. This Anzac Day long weekend was meant to be the weekend to get the SV8 on the road (I feel like I've said that before..) but I'm out of action for at least a week now. Yipee!

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Assembly is finally underway, but not under the circumstances I had intended.
The Mrs took my car to work on Sunday the 5th and unfortunately was in an accident (T intersection, her turning right, 4WD to her right had indicated to turn left and kept going straight). Bye bye my daily.
Good thing I serviced it Tuesday last week and had the brakes replaced in April.
Even better more parts have just started to arrive to continue the maintenance on it! :p
I'm selling it to a wrecker, the sooner I don't have to deal with it the better. **** happens. I'm just glad my Mrs walked away uninjured.

IMG-20220605-155759.jpg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Assembly is finally underway, but not under the circumstances I had intended.
The Mrs took my car to work on Sunday the 5th and unfortunately was in an accident (T intersection, her turning right, 4WD to her right had indicated to turn left and kept going straight). Bye bye my daily.
Good thing I serviced it Tuesday last week and had the brakes replaced in April.
Even better more parts have just started to arrive to continue the maintenance on it! :p
I'm selling it to a wrecker, the sooner I don't have to deal with it the better. **** happens. I'm just glad my Mrs walked away uninjured.

IMG-20220605-155759.jpg
I thought this thread was about a vy?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
It is. I thought it was relevant to the build thread as now my daily is written off, the VY will be finished sooner.
Ok thanks for the reply. I thought that may have been the case? Just wasn't sure.

Your wife ok?

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
She's ok. No serious injuries thankfully. Just a sore neck and ribs from the seatbelt tensioning.
The airbags didn't go off surprisingly.

For the moment one of my mates was kind enough to let me borrow his BF Falcon wagon to drive.
If all goes well the SV8 should be on the road in a couple of weeks.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Another couple of small updates. Still waiting on the engine to be assembled. Changing from the 223/228 @114 cam to a 226/232 @112 cam as per the builders recommendation.

While I've been twiddling my thumbs at home I decided to keep doing the little things to the car.
I replaced the brake rotors, pads and brake lines.
The DBA Street Performance rear pads were too thick and I had to take the shims off to fit the caliper over them (yes, the piston was all the way back in the caliper).
There wasn't any issue with the front pads, I didn't have to remove the shims from those which is a bit strange.
IMG-20220616-214645.jpg

Then I heard a mate of mine bought a dirt cheap VYII SV8 so I bought the front bumper and grille. Mine was cracking around the grille due to the previous modifications done to it. Conveniently, the other SV8 was also red!
I also fitted the HBD front lip from the old bumper.
IMG-20220621-224738.jpg

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
It's been a while since updates. Here's where I'm at with the shitbox. The below is just a copy and paste from another forum I post on.

24/10/2022
4 months later and the car still isn't on the road. There is no such thing as meeting deadlines with the builder.
The registration for the BF Falcon I was borrowing Expired on the 17th of September, which left me with no car. The plan WAS to get my engine together in the car and running by that weekend but guess what? Nope.

Another month later, I'm borrowing another car from the engine builder while I still wait for this fkn engine to be assembled since the builder keeps getting my hopes up for nothing and working on other cars instead.

The SV8 was towed down to the workshop on the 16th of September and is now parked next to the VE Maloo which has sat at the workshop since October 2021. It's still not giving me hope that it's ever going to get finished.

31/10/2022
Believe me, I've wanted to but I know it's not going to get me anywhere by losing it at him.
I've even told him if it's too much for him to handle, I'll take my business elsewhere. Maybe I should have.

In other news, the diff is getting a birthday too. 3.73:1 Spicer gears, Harrop Trutrac with a new seal and bearing kit. May as well build it before breaking the stock one. $1900 including labour.
Also hoping to order a 3000rpm stall converter with lock up tonight hopefully, I don't think the modified stock converter will do the job (2200rpm stall speed).
I was actually thinking of a 6 speed manual swap but at the end of the day, I think I would end up not enjoying the car as much once it's on the road.

As for cam, change of plans (again). Going with a Texas Speed 224/228@112 cam with .600" for intake and exhaust. It's a tried and true cam, with stock in Australia. Crow Cams dropped the ball with the custom grind that was planned.

19/05/2023
It's been a hot minute, still not running...
Told it would be running by Christmas 2022- nope.
Told I would have it running and used for my parents wedding car in January 2023- nope.
Told I would have it running in February and March 2023- nope.
Told I would have it by my Birthday in April 2023- nope,

Still not running.

Last time I spoke to the builder, my car was getting a T56 conversion and a pair of special 243 heads.

04/09/2023
Another 3 months down the track and guess what?
Nada.

Car still isn't together and running. But it's okay though, he rebuilt and cammed the engine for his own CV8 Monaro and had it running in less than a month from start to finish.
Fck me right?

Apparently this weekend coming up the engine is going in...

Today:
I'm picking the car up Wednesday. Fck this headfck anymore.