Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2006 VZ SS 6L Manual ute! (never dial-up friendly)

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Like this man
lumps.jpg

I guess its just a different type of wiper blade holder .

Also with the hsv cluster , if yours is the type with the pop out sunglasses holder at the top . You can convert/mod then to accept the gauges , thats what me and Jecs have done to ours . Cheaper then buying a whole surround .

With the L76 having a slight miss , mine hasnt had one

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Like this man
lumps.jpg

I guess its just a different type of wiper blade holder .

Also with the hsv cluster , if yours is the type with the pop out sunglasses holder at the top . You can convert/mod then to accept the gauges , thats what me and Jecs have done to ours . Cheaper then buying a whole surround .

With the L76 having a slight miss , mine hasnt had one

Yeah it's the VE style wiper. Thicker blade and ****.. no idea why ours are different though?

Mines the pop-up style one so i'll have to look into this option but gauges won't be for a little while

Well hopefully leads/plugs fix my issue, guy had plugs done like 5000kms ago but i might aswell be safe.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Ended up taking a quick squirt around the corner and car idled fine afterwards so maybe it's just slightly missing when cold. Regardless, will test again when i fit plugs and leads.

The stock 6L isn't really as quick as i thought i'd be either haha, my raptor charged 6 would eat it alive. I hope a full exhaust/OTR/tune will really wake it up.

In other news all stereo bits are coming in drips and drabs, got the headunit, amp, sub box and sub which i've wired up all ready to go.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Alright, so finally did the stereo, took longer than I thought.

Just a quick shoot before i got it into the garage :D

Some of the goodies:

This ####ing thing took me so long to get out i needed an achievement picture. Coat hangers weren't thick enough to i had to use 2 screw drivers too -.-

For anyone wanting to put a double-din you need to remove this cage:

Tweeters in on the factory mounts

Slapped some dynomat on the doors:

Didn't have a heat gun or hairdryer so zipties did the trick lol

Nice clean running of the wires, so much more room than my VS.

Progress shot

Drilled a hole and put the USB cable in the centre console so it's hidden:

Probably going to put the sub-bass remote here on the side, just with some velcro.

Then the final finished product!

The headunit works great, some things I need to do like secure the amp to the ground under the seat properly and buy a new subwoofer box.. The one i got is slimline but i can't put the passenger chair anywhere near all the way back otherwise it hit's the surround of the subwoofer.

My Polk speakers don't seem to have the same kick as in the last car too and they're amped even higher this time. I feel the tweeters are less of a 'snap' than before. I run -3DB on the tweeter's crossovers due to how loud they were but it seems for the ute I need to put it back up.

So next up, i've got to order a Subwoofer box that'll suit the VZ ute (which i believe are bloody $230) then that's pretty much it until i get the OTR/Exhaust/Tune.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Alright well so i'm going to try something different. I didn't want to take out the factory jack spot in the car, and i didn't want to buy a $250 custom sub box and still have the sub hit the back of my seat so i'm going to try out this middle setup:

s-l1600.jpg

Not a quite as clean setup as i like, but i love my loud music and having comfortable space is key as well so i'll give this a try.

In other news, changing spark plug leads on a V8 with standard headers with heatshields is the biggest prick in the world. After trying to get a few off i gave up. I asked the guys at C&A Auto Fashion when doing my mods + tune if they could change my spark plugs and leads and they offered to do it free of charge. I don't see a loss here considering i'm not driving the car right now anyway.

They come back off holidays in mid-January, and next week I will booking in with them for the 24th of January. I recieve my full license on the 22nd of January, so i'll be driving it around stock for 2 days, then in for the mods/tune. Can't wait!

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Good bye to your ears with that sub lol . I dont understand how the sub with stay there thou . looks like the seats hold it back ?

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Good bye to your ears with that sub lol . I dont understand how the sub with stay there thou . looks like the seats hold it back ?

Haha using my own subwoofer, but the box will be a bit loud there yeah haha!

It screws in with 2 screws in the hump pieces so it stays even if the seats are forward.

FYI it won't be as loud as i want it but i can't run a big enough ported box in the ute. My sub in the wagon right now is ridiculous (running about 1.5k RMS in a low tuned ported box) while this one will be in a sealed box which is quieter, running about 500-600WRMS. Still very loud yes, but i like loud lol.

My speakers are currently at 100WRMS each and they're loud as **** so the sub needs to match :D

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
So for anyone interested I have my hardtop up for sale for $1k ono.

After it's sold I will be buying a soft Tonneau cover and the lower honeycomb mesh on the front bar.

I've gone for a turn and booked in with Casey Automotive instead, since they're only 10 minutes away and for pretty much the same pricing with good reviews.

Ended up booking in a Hurricane system with 3" exhaust, Plastic OTR, and custom tune. They will also be fitting my spark plugs/leads at the same time for no extra charge which is convenient. It will be booked in for January 20th (ages away) which is the day before I get my full license so it'll be all set for the Saturday :D.

In other news my fibreglass subwoofer box already came so I will fit that this weekend (or during the week) and see how that goes. I also need to fix all the wiring as there's SO much excess cable I need to cut and re-do.

My battery is also dead and having it sitting for the next 2 months isn't going to be good for the battery so I'm going to buy a battery charger and leave the battery on charge for the 2 months, hopefully keeps it alive until I buy a better battery like a Yellow-top for drive-ins etc.

Lastly, updated the upgrade list again..

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
If you get a decent battery charger it'll also have a trickle charge function that'll constantly monitor and maintain battery charge . If batteries not too old or run down it should bring it back .