Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2006 VZ SS 6L Manual ute! (never dial-up friendly)

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
If you get a decent battery charger it'll also have a trickle charge function that'll constantly monitor and maintain battery charge . If batteries not too old or run down it should bring it back .

Yeah mate it's a trickle charger so I should be able to just leave it on, but the battery in it looks pretty old and it could do with more CCA in the mornings since the amp will be running before the car starts from now on which will put a little more drain on it.

I spoke ahead of time too and got impatient, I have already ordered the soft tonneau cover and the front grill also lol.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Alright so fitted up the new box tonight! Two screws into the back firewall to secure it, fitted up the subwoofer and bam!

Thing sounds mint, but the amp cut out within 5 seconds because of dead battery so i'll get it running on the weekend and give it a test then.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
So i didn't have much luck today. Went to fit my bottom honeycomb grill and all the tabs have been snapped clean off except for one as you can see below which is no wonder why it's missing.

I couldn't get the bar completely off either as on the VZ it has two screws in the middle of the bumper that just wouldn't come out and i gave up.

But regardless the grill just keeps falling out as there's no tabs which is disapointing. I think i may be able to glue it in but i need to get some and figure out how to get the middle screws out.

In other news, i got a few rear air bag quotes from a few different places, cheapest i found was $1950 fitted at Rollow air suspension with slam triple bags and everything fitted under the tub liner.

So i'll buy a new front SL spring/strut and keep the standard rear shock as i need the travel height for the bags.

I have looked at some rims and this is the style i'll be going for, deep dish in gloss black should set very nicely.

5._Raptor_BLK_1024x1024.jpg

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
should have waited until you had the real notes, tuned length and from some cylindrical metal, coming from it before worrying about the music :p
and yeah the trickle/maintenance chargers are the way to go especially if it gets started one in a blue moon or will be sitting around for a while. If it is likely to be like that consistently then something like a hidden Anderson plug would be the way to go, saves form opening the bonnet all the time to disco/reco the charger leads.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
should have waited until you had the real notes, tuned length and from some cylindrical metal, coming from it before worrying about the music :p
and yeah the trickle/maintenance chargers are the way to go especially if it gets started one in a blue moon or will be sitting around for a while. If it is likely to be like that consistently then something like a hidden Anderson plug would be the way to go, saves form opening the bonnet all the time to disco/reco the charger leads.

Haha naawww. I'll love the v8 sound but i love my music too so best of both worlds :p

The trickle charger i got works perfectly and battery has been strong since the full recharge. Anderson plugs are ugly, I don't mind connecting it up to the charger every time. Soon as i can drive it daily it won't need to be on a charger, but until then the car isn't moving anyway.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
So i didn't have much luck today. Went to fit my bottom honeycomb grill and all the tabs have been snapped clean off except for one as you can see below which is no wonder why it's missing.

I couldn't get the bar completely off either as on the VZ it has two screws in the middle of the bumper that just wouldn't come out and i gave up.

But regardless the grill just keeps falling out as there's no tabs which is disapointing. I think i may be able to glue it in but i need to get some and figure out how to get the middle screws out

Should be just the 3 along the top and the 2 in the wheel arch to get the bumper off ?

Also the utes never got the proper tabs to hold the lower grill in , I just used a small screw into the very top lip so you cant see it and some glue

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Should be just the 3 along the top and the 2 in the wheel arch to get the bumper off ?

Also the utes never got the proper tabs to hold the lower grill in , I just used a small screw into the very top lip so you cant see it and some glue

Yeah I thought the same but this has two middle screws right under the front face where the number plate mounts which is surprising.. and I feel I'm gunna have to rip them out to get them off as they free spin even with pull the bar down for pressure.

Yeah I feel when I have a another go at pulling the bar off I'll try glue it in. I didn't realise there wasn't supposed to be tabs? Mine were definitely there man I can feel where they have all been snapped off and there's still one on the top

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Yeah I thought the same but this has two middle screws right under the front face where the number plate mounts which is surprising.. and I feel I'm gunna have to rip them out to get them off as they free spin even with pull the bar down for pressure.

Yeah I feel when I have a another go at pulling the bar off I'll try glue it in. I didn't realise there wasn't supposed to be tabs? Mine were definitely there man I can feel where they have all been snapped off and there's still one on the top

Weird as , unless someones replaced your front bar with the sedan one . Cos from what I remember they wanted to save costs and didnt give the utes the option for the lower grille so they made 2 separate front bars , sedans getting the lower grille and the tabs and the utes and wagons getting the bar with no tabs on it .

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
My lower grill is is actually cable tied in. Who ever installed it had same issue, and drilled some holes in the side and just cable tied it in with 4 cable ties.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Yeah I might figure it out on the weekend when i have some time to look.

In other news, I bought some wheels! Found some cheap HSV E-series 19" wheels with brand new tyres for $700 pre-drilled.

These will probably stay on the car until i get a bit of coin to buy 20's. I couldn't tollerate the 18's on it currently.