Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2009 Pontaic G8 GT (VE Commodore)

WoodburyMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L L76 (Commodore VE)
Hell everyone from across the pond!

Looking at your forum to get some information on radio head unit options and such and decided to introduce myself.

I drive a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. (6.0L L76 Engine). Not sure what direct trim equivalents would be but it had the Premium package with leather heated seats, and a few other goodies.

I don't have to much done to it yet. I've had it a little over half a year. Previously I owned a 2005 GTO (Monaro) that I traded due to a few issues (Bad rear main seal, clutch, rear diff all going same time, along with rusting hood and BCM wiring issues). Currently I have Vararam Ram-Air intake. Custom ECM/TCM Tune with Corsa Sport exhaust soon. Besides perforance I have done full LED conversion (All lights, except Low beams are 35watt 6000K HID's). Factory Bluetooth retrofit (2008 and 2009 G8's did not have Bluetooth, only late 2009 ("2009.5") models did, retrofitted it to work in my early 2009. Also "Atari" Center gauge mod. Factory iPod Control (Shows track names, artist, etc from iPod on screen). I also have DBA 4000XS Drilled and Slotted Rotors with Hawk Ceramic pads. Painted the calipers.. BMR Strut Tower Bar.. Also have a separate set of wheels for our winters up here with full out Blizzak WS70 Snow tires, along with stock rims with Goodyear Pilot Super Sports.

I might be mostly lurking on here gathering info but figured id say hi!

Now Pictures!

Why I need snow tires..err..tyres.
snow3.jpg

snow2.jpg

snow1.jpg

Vararam OTR (Over the Radiator) intake and BMR strut bar
underhood.jpg

Factory iPod Control
ipodradio.jpg

HID / LED Fog (Have stronger LED fogs now.. 3x as bright..)
hid3.jpg

LED reverse
revled3.jpg

Atari Style Gauges
atari4.jpg

Other photos
sunset.jpg

carshow.jpg

johnzombie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
That looks awesome! I especially love the last pic really shows off how clean the car is. The paint looks immaculate you must really look after it. Well done! I haven't seen those door handles on a G8 before they look awesome too ties the chrome around the windows into the body colour nicely.

I might be mostly lurking on here gathering info but figured id say hi!
What info do you need? Ask away!

Why I need snow tires..err..tyres.
I laughed.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
If I was in the US I'd convert one to HSV spec... Would keep people guessing

WoodburyMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
That looks awesome! I especially love the last pic really shows off how clean the car is. The paint looks immaculate you must really look after it. Well done! I haven't seen those door handles on a G8 before they look awesome too ties the chrome around the windows into the body colour nicely.

What info do you need? Ask away!

I laughed.
Yea right before those last two pictures I clay barred the entire car and waxed it and complete detail inside and out. Took about 9 hours. I've only had it for 9 months, person who had it for the three years before me took decent care of it apart from ripping up the bottom of the front bumper.. err.. bonnet. lol.

The handles are actually stock on all GT and GXP G8's. Only the Base trim V6 (3.6L) G8's came with door handles that didn't have chrome and matched the body colour. Guys with GT's and GXP's actually trade with V6 owners and plastidip the chrome around the windows black if they don't like the chrome.

Wasn't looking for anything in particular. I found info I needed about Aux input. The radio's in the G8/Commedore are nothing like anything else sold in the U.S. So all conventional adapters and such don't work. I'm actually buying a kit off eBay AU for VE Series 1 that should work with the G8.
If I was in the US I'd convert one to HSV spec... Would keep people guessing
Yea. There actually are quite a few that do that. It's costly as shipping the panels here is expensive. I would die to own a HSV... a VE Maloo in Voodoo Blue would be my dream car..
looks amazing man! them first 2 - 3 pics take cold starts to a whole new level haha
Yea lol! Actually it wasn't that cold. We get a few days in the winter where it gets into the single digits (0F to -10F, to -17 to -23C). Usually just for a day or two. Average high is in the 20F's or 30F's (-6C to 0C) and lows maybe in the 10's or 20's (-12C to -6C). Not enough to use block heaters or anything. Have to go a little more north for that. We just get a lot of snow. That storm those pictures were from were from February this year (2013), we had over 40inches (3.3ft. 1meter) of snow within 18 hours. Beat a record from 1970's. Only storm bigger on record is from 1890's.

More often our snowfalls look like this... Shot of my GTO when I still had it in a light snow we had.
normal_PC204803Edit.JPG

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
awesome and welcome, can you take a closer pic of those door handles (interest sakes) and a different one of the brace (ours normally go from top of shock tower to top of shock tower) and bugger the cold- we whinge in queensland when it drops to 15C in the winter, love the colour (color?)

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
awesome and welcome, can you take a closer pic of those door handles (interest sakes) and a different one of the brace (ours normally go from top of shock tower to top of shock tower) and bugger the cold- we whinge in queensland when it drops to 15C in the winter, love the colour (color?)

were lucky to see 17c up here haha

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
View attachment 161937You could always get rid of that front grille and put a Holden badge on it:rofl2:, over here its common for bogans to put Chevy badges on their Holdens so I can't see why you can't do the same but opposite over there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,377
Last edited:

WoodburyMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sure thing. I'll post up some pictures of the door handles. I'm working now (well at work ;)...) but I'll get some when I get out. I can even get you GM Part #'s for the door handles to. They sold them separately as accessories for the V6 models so they aren't hard to find. Here's a page listing them... They come in all stock G8 colors. The 3 digit paint code is in the brackets ex (39U) or whatever. This page is actually a dealer located in Pennsylvania. Not sure if they do international shipping or not. If not you can try ordering those part numbers from local Holden dealers down there (ex part # for 39U is 92215798 from that page).
I'm just not 100%... The rear doors will be the same part and fit fine. Only the driver's door has the key hole, which in the U.S. is on the Left.. and of course for you guys on the Right. Not sure if they'd just flip or not. I'll make sure to get a detail photo of my driver side door for you guys...
View attachment 161937You could always get rid of that front grille and put a Holden badge on it:rofl2:, over here its common for bogans to put Chevy badges on their Holdens so I can't see why you can't do the same but opposite over there.
Yep lol. If i wanted to spend the $. Lots of guys do HSV and Holden front and rear covers for their G8's (VE) and GTO's (VZ). Expensive though because of freight shipping to the U.S. For you guys to get Chevy bumpers it's not as bad as they are all still made there. No one around here does Chevy badges because there's already too many heavy Chevy's up here =P. And they actually sell Chevy Caprice up here to Police (Not for regular consumers). It's just a VE Statesmen with a Chevy front bumper.

WoodburyMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh and I'll get some shots of the strut tower brace.
It is unique as it doesn't go from the top of the tower to tower.. goes in between. The one for my GTO (VZ) was like that, GTO even came with a small stock one, the one I got for that was 3-4x thicker than stock. However the G8 (VE) ones here all brace from side of the strut tower to the other side. Didn't come with one from the factory as well. I think it has to do with hood clearance because the towers ride higher on my G8 than the GTO. It's made by a company here called BMR 2008 - 2009 Pontiac G8 Chassis | Strut Tower Braces | BMR Suspension Products & Parts.